General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No power to car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to car?

i just bought a battery a month ago, had alternator tested and is good. today i started it up went to the sonic wasn't there 10 mins and when i went to start up and leave it was like i had no battery. its like the power from the battery is struggling to make it to the starter and everything. i couldn't even roll my windows up. i looked at what i could see and the battery wires running down to the starter look semi ate up. but not through the plastic cover. never had any problems this came out of no where. it barely gets enough juice for the seat belt light to flicker. anyone else have problems or guessing its my wires going from battery to engine?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

You didn't have Autozone check you alternator did you. They always get my cars wrong. Test it for yourself to make sure.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

yeah i did, i know the guy seemed kinda hesitant. i did try to jump the car, we let it charge for 10 mins, and even took the rpms up and it didn't even help....

* just got a call from my mechanic, he said the negative battery terminal was on too tight and some reason it wasn't giving off a charge. anyone heard of that? i replaced the battery month ago i guess i tightened the battery terminal too tight anyone ever hear of that??
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Moving to General Maintenance.....
Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Teching In

* just got a call from my mechanic, he said the negative battery terminal was on too tight and some reason it wasn't giving off a charge. anyone heard of that? i replaced the battery month ago i guess i tightened the battery terminal too tight anyone ever hear of that??

i have heard of overtightening but that normally strips out the threads in the battery making it a loose connection. i can definately see the problems you are having if the neg terminal is not snug or loose but if you were not able to move the cables while they are hooked up then you probably didn't overtighten them.

but is it fixed now since you took it to your mechanic?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

yeah i get power fine now, it was strange how having it too tight on the battery terminal made the connection no good. any one have imput? now i am stuck with a 70$ towing fee.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Check your insurance. Most policies cover towing. The only way having a battery terminal on too tight would cause a non-start condition would be if you stripped the threads and the cable was no longer making good contact with the terminal. It's always a good idea to put a new battery on a charger overnight before installing it. Even though they are supposed to be fully charged and ready to go out of the box, many are not.