General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibrations under car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibrations under car?

I feel a weird deep and heavy vibration under my seat when i'm in the 2000-3000 rpm range. then it goes away when the rpms go higher. what is that? driveshaft? broken torque arm? is that just me needing an alignment?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Teching In

at what speeds are you going? sounds like it could be driveshaft imbalance or worn u-joints. it could even be your tires either being out of balance or cupped/scalloped.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

i'm not going very fast when it's doing it. whenever it gets in that rpm range though it is noticeable. i've been thinking about unbalanced driveshaft for a while.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Teching In

yeah, you may want to check your local trans shop to see if they could re-balance it. according to your sig, looks like you've had quite a few mods and trans work done. sound's like you've got yourself a pretty sweet ride.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Fiery Features Director

Can you feel anything in the steering? Is it affected with just RPM, engine speed or both? If the problem is an unbalanced driveshaft, the vibration will usually get worse at higher speeds. The vibration you describe could also be an unbalanced torque converter.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

i can get my torque converter balanced? how?

the vibration doesn't effect driving or the motor, it's just annoying to feel. car seems to be fine right now but i noticed a lot of fluid under the car where the oil pan was and under the tranny. it's not dripping on to the ground but it's def leaking. looks like it came from behind the motor, maybe rear main seal? but would that effect driving and cause vibrations? maybe it's a combo of things! my car is sick!

Last edited by kaos_; 07-08-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by kaos_
i can get my torque converter balanced? how?

the vibration doesn't effect driving or the motor, it's just annoying to feel. car seems to be fine right now.
It looks like some of my post got chopped off. I meant to ask you if you recently installed the converter. The torque converter should have been balanced from the manufacturer. If you recently installed the converter and noticed the vibration, then it is likely due to a damaged converter or bad install. If the converter has been in the car for a length of time and the vibration just became noticeable, then your problem is most likely something else.

As far as the fluid goes... what color is it?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the converter has been in for some time now and this just started happening. the fluid is fine and doesn't look burnt at all. it has been changed out once since install recently as well.

could a cracked motor mount cause that vibration? i was told my drivers side mount was cracked by my mechanic but that i could get away with it until i could afford new mounts. what do you think?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have ever thought that maybe this post issue and your other post issue could be related seeing as their both in the same area?