General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car keeps throwing code! help

Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car keeps throwing code! help

Well this has been a on going thing, the light just stays on and im 100% sure its my locking gas cap! is there away to disable it from looking for that or is there a gas cap that will keep the light from coming on! I don't have the original as the locking cap was on it when i bought it but im sick of having to go to the autopart store to have them tell me its my cap a million times and have it cleared, normally comes on when im about to a half of tank after fill, I herd the light should turn off by it self if the problem is fixed. So is there away to keep a locking cap and not have it throw codes or do i need to order a oem cap? thanks alot.

And i wasn't sure if I posted this in the right section so if it isnt im sorry.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what code are you throwing. it may not be your gas cap at all. most common gas cap code is "EVAP system leak (large)" but that is not always the case. you could have a hole in one of your EVAP lines or even the fuel pump seal could be going bad.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a new locking one if it's not sealing anymore, think GM sells a locking one for our cars too. What code is it throwing? Might not be the cap at all. Buddy of mine kept throwing P0442, replaced the cap - turned out to be a small leak in the EVAP system.

Search this Thread