General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I cant even do a simple task

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant even do a simple task

Hey everyone I posted on here not very long ago about my battery draining when the car sat overnight or for any other longer period of time. I searched for the problem and couldnt find it. I pulled every fuse and still got spark off the battery so I took it to the local Chevy dealer this morning. They said it was the CD player draining it. So I came home and looked up the wire colors on here so I could get the stereo back in. I found this:

Pin#............Color.................Function
1...............Grey..................Front Left Speaker -
2...............Tan...................Front Left Speaker +
3...............Dark Green............Front Right Speaker -
4...............Light Green...........Front Right Speaker +
5...............Black.................Ground
6...............Brown.................Illumination
7...............Grey..................Dimmer
8...............Pink..................Power Antenna
9...............Yellow................12V Ignition
10..............Orange................12V Constant
11..............NA....................NA
12..............NA....................NA
13..............NA....................NA
14..............Dark Blue.............Steering Wheel Controls
17..............Light Blue............Right Rear Speaker -
18..............Dark Blue.............Right Rear Speaker +
19..............Yellow................Left Rear Speaker -
20..............Brown.................Left Rear Speaker +

No big deal I thought and printed this to go hook it up. I then realized that my camaro (94 V6) only has these colors coming from the car:

-Orange
-White
-Tan
-Green
-Dark Brown
-Blue
-Green with a White stripe
-Light brown
-Grey
-Antenna wire

So now I dont know what to do I mean the chart that I found has 2 yellows and my car only has 1 yellow and so on. The car has a Bose speaker on the driver side in the trunk and 2 front speakers that dont say anything.

Ive been using this site for awhile now and I have always found the answers by searching or asking after searching. Well this time I thought I found what I was looking for but it had made a big confusion out of a simple task. Can someone please help me out? I know this sounds like another dumb and boring question that is wasting your time but I really need some help. Thanks alot again everyone.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

I had a drain issue with a aftermarket item (alarm), and removed the alarm ground and no dead battery. It turned out a aftermarket switch for the trunk release was always "on" and draning the battery. I took it to a local stereo/alarm shop and they had it diagnosed and fixed within 1/2 hour. I took it to a GM dealer first (under warranty), and they incorrectly said it was just a bad battery.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I was worried that the dealership might see the aftermarket radio and assume its the problem...if I ever get the stereo hooked up I will find out if that was really the problem. Who knows because they only charged me for a half hour...which shocked me..
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

have you looked into the possibility of your altenator being bad? Mine went out once and it was draining my batter overnight
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

I bought a new alternator and it fixed the problem for about a week. So then I had the new one tested and the battery tested and they were both good. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you had a volt meter you could do some testing and probably find it. might have a short to ground somewhere causing extra current flow when the car is turned off, or you may not have your turn on lead connected which would cause the amp in the radio to stay powered all of the time. did a reputable shop install the radio? if so, take it to them and they should be able to find the problem and fix it for free, if it is indeed the radio.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend's truck was draining its battery every couple nights because the glovebox switch had broken and the light inside the box was always open, even when it was shut. He never knew it because it's supposed to be on when you open it. Just something to think about, since there's glovebox, rear hatch, rearview mirror, ashtray lights, etc.