General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car hits puddle and f's up everytime

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car hits puddle and f's up everytime *UPDATE*

Hey guys, quick q.

My car is low (on sportlines) has msd wires, longtuves etc. Everytime, and I mean evertime I hit a puddle more than 3 inches deep the car starts running like ***. Clutch feels real spngy it does'nt want to rev and just runs like ***, hesitating and stuff. Sometimes the ses light comes on.

To fix it I usually let it sit a couple hours it seems to dry out then and run ok. It's just really annoying. Like everytime I hit a puddle I have to limp it after that going like 20 mph.

Any idea what that water keeps hitting or getting into? I'm thinking battery or plug cables but I'm not sure. The clutch thing throws me off because it feels real spongy when it starts doing that.

Thanks

Last edited by Traitor; 07-20-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

front oxygen sensor wires?? or maybe water getting into the air filter and on the maf sensor.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

haha i used to have sportlines and went through the same **** man. those are your O2s getting wet. when they're wet they won't read properly and your car will run like *** (it feels real laggy, right?). it is time for new ones! get the bosch ones from autozone. if you have a true dual exhaust setup get the bosch O2s that are for a C5 corvette. they're longer so you won't need extensions! also check your car for exhaust leaks, i'm sure you've got some if you have the sportlines. bottoming out will definitely cause leaks.

to fix the problem permanently, get the prokit and ditch the sportlines. honestly the prokit looks like the sportlines once the shocks sag a bit. so you'll retain the look of the car and you won't be bottoming out anymore!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

water gettin in the intake possibly causing the engine to misfire and throw a code. maybe the loss of power causes your clutch to become spongy? i know when my daily driver is about to stall the power steering turns really easily for some reason. Get your codes checked out and good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kaos_
haha i used to have sportlines and went through the same **** man. those are your O2s getting wet. when they're wet they won't read properly and your car will run like *** (it feels real laggy, right?). it is time for new ones! get the bosch ones from autozone. if you have a true dual exhaust setup get the bosch O2s that are for a C5 corvette. they're longer so you won't need extensions! also check your car for exhaust leaks, i'm sure you've got some if you have the sportlines. bottoming out will definitely cause leaks.

to fix the problem permanently, get the prokit and ditch the sportlines. honestly the prokit looks like the sportlines once the shocks sag a bit. so you'll retain the look of the car and you won't be bottoming out anymore!
thanks guys. yes, exactly it gets real laggy and **** and just won't rev. it does have the fipk, but i dont think water gets quite that far up. the o2 sensors make sense, i did'nt even think of that. they are pretty damn close to the ground. thats probably it. I do have a little exhaust leak too. Just a faint ticking you can hear at idle and at low revs. Its not the valvetrain because it only started that after I put the LTs on.

No go on the pro-kit. I had them before these and did'nt like it lol. Car sits nice now but I have this **** to deal with.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll try some new o2 sensors, or just really avoid these damn puddles but im in FL so it rains every freakin day lol
Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same problem whenever i go through a puddle. water must be getting sucked up through the filter and on the MAF. the engine misfires of and on until it dries out. after that the SES light turns off and it runs normal.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

So yesterday I hit a puddle and same old thing. Excpet this time, I start it up this morning and it's still runing like ****. It did'nt dry out.

So I take it up to the loacl place to run the code. They get misfire. Look at the plug wires and one of my MSDs is sitting right on the header. It has a nice burnt/crispy hole in it. So everytime I'd hit a puddle, water would hit that thing. Yea, I'm a tard.

So, I got 7 MSDs on there and 1 stocker. Is that going to be an issue? I doubted just wanna make sure because I dont think MSD sells individual wires and I dont feel like buying a whole set right now.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Car hits puddle and f's up everytime