No Tach, Bucking kicking spitting and dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Tach, Bucking kicking spitting and dying

So the TA looks good and everything....

but now it wont run right.

I took it to AutoZone and ran the OBDII scanner on it.

It came back with bad 02's no voltage. I think 134 or maybe 135 code errors. SO I was like ok, i wait till next weekend to take them out. Its not a daily driver so I just took it home and parked it. So this weekend I go out to take it to the Insurance lady to pay my bill and show her the car as she hasn't seen it yet, new insurance. And it starts bucking and kicking and then it dies. This all happens around 1500rpm's or less just cruising through town.

So I make it there, she looks at it. I leave it running cause I had brought my dog and kept the AC on for him. So right as I am talking to her it dies all on its own just sitting there idling.

Then, I go out and it cranks right back up no problems. I drive down to Autozone again this time I am really curious what is the codes. Comes back again of course for the 02's but now it says crankshaft position sensor is bad.

I am like ****. So I bring it home get the old O2's out go to Auto zone and replace themw ith new ones..no biggy get them installed.

I unhooked the battery the night before so that it would be good and drained.

Well Get it all back together. Stillt he same problem except now I can't even get it out of my Apartment Complex to take it to Autozone to run the Codes. It dies...kicks sputters and backfires.

So I am thinking of several different things. All of which are gonna either be a pain in the *** or are gonna be expensive.

1.) Crankshaft position sensor-involves taking the starter off...eek
2.) Fuel Filter needs replaced
3.) Fuel Pump could be going bad?
4.) TPS, MAF, or maybe even the ECU?

I am so frustrated I can't even think straight right now. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the first situation sounds exactly like 02s...which it was, id go more with a maf or fuel pump issue...both of which can be tested simply
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Didn't the SES light say a voltage issue w/ the o2's? Could it be some kind of short in the wire(s)?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

I changed the 02's out and it still does it. I have examined the harness all the way back to the ECU and it looks fine.

I am gonna change out the Fuel Filter and maybe get a Crankshaft Position sensor on order. It takes a day.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

i dont know if this will help any since you have a ls1 but i have a lt1 and my car backfired real bad once and my tach instantly died. i replaced my opti spark and that was the problem so maybe your having some kind of electronic or maybe bad coils or plugs??
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the fuel filter cause it's cheap and easy anyway.

The MAF and TPS wouldn't cause those problems, without them the ECU just switches to SD mode. With bad O2s the ECU would run in open loop which wouldn't cause the misfiring and kicking. I'm guessing it's the CPS, without the CPS the ECU can't figure out the proper timing which is where your misfires are coming from. It also wouldn't be able to calculate engine RPM as the CPS is used for this which explains the no tach. Taking the starter off isn't that rough either.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no tach means crank or cam position sensor
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Found the culprit when i went out to change the sensor. Pulled the Starter off and poof