General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

transmission Pan drop and filter change. issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission Pan drop and filter change. issue

ok. everything went smooth till it was time to refill the fluid. we left the car off.

and slowly poored through the trasn dipstick tube. every now and then the car would burp. well at one point no more would go in. to the point that it was still sititng inthe funnel.. great we over filled. made a big mess yadda yadda.

well the problem is I cannot get a accurate reading from the dipstick. i checked the drain pan and we drained abotu 3qts. so thats about what we have in their now. but the dipstick barely shows trans fluid in it. so we had put about a quart more and all the sudden its over flowing again. well we tried starting it letting it suck some through. shifting gears jacking the rear up letting the wheels spin on idle went through couple of the gears. and it would not take any more fluid. so we siphoned out about another qt. and we are back to around 3qts. and we left it their. i drop home. shifts seems quicka nd sharp/smooth. actually better than before. i start my car today let it idle for about 5 min. check the fluid.. and again. it like their is hardly Any trans fluid in the pan. so i went and got 1 more qt. but i havent put it in yet. because i mean technically if id rained 3qts when the pan dropped and filter ect. putting 3qts back should put me where i was originally.

now when i came back from walmart earlier. and left the car running to check the level again. their was a very Strong Air rush from the trans dipstick when i pulled it open.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you checking it with the car off? its supposed to be running and in park.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes. its wierd i never remember getting the whooshes of Air when i remove the dipstick like its doing now. and it still trying to give a reading that its almost empty. but i know its not. but the car is shifting perfect. actually better than before the change. no clicks or clangs.

i had about a tablespoon worth of liquid metal shavings stuck to the magnet in the pan.

but back to the oil. ive checked it while its idled for 10 min. ive went driving for 15-20 min come back check and it still wants to give a reading like its empty. but back when was filling it up. the second we try to put that 4-5th qt is when it would get full and shoot it back out.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

You replaced 3 quarts and its low, and at 4-5 its overflowing. Try somewhere in between maybe
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha. yea you would think that would work right? but so far its either it shows low. or spits it back at me. im guessing their still some air pockets in their. ohwell as long as its running good. this is by far the best the car has been shifting since ive got it. making spitting trans oil back at me is its way of saying thank you i dunno lol.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

today again out of the blue. though he dipstick first showed it was like 2 qts low... this afternoon it decided to try and spit trans oil back up the dipstick tube. but luckily i didnt pull it out all the way. but i could feel the pressure of air.

has noone else ever experienced this. is their no built in system in he pump to relive air pockets that might have developed when filling it back up?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I would redo the filter install, since that is when the issue started. JMO.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

make sure the dip stick tube is pressed al the way into the tranny.if its sticking out a little it would read low..i had a 68 camaro that after you would drive it tranny fluid would bubble out of the top of the dip stick tube.i thought it was over heating so i installed a temp gauge and it never went over like 180..
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem isn't air pockets, its just the design. If it wont take any more, drive it around a little bit and make sure to go in reverse too to get it to use all of its passageways. park it and check again while warm and running. A completely dry transmission + torque converter + cooler takes almost 12 quarts, so if you let it drain for a long time after the pan was off it may need a little more than 5. If it doesn't foam then its not overfull to the point of hurting anything, you will know if it is, it has a vent tube, and there will be a huge mess. Also, check the back of the dipstick when you look, not just the front. Sometimes it scraps on the sides or messes up the reading.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the prob s that vent tube.. it should make a mess under the car right?..

why didnt a dorp of oil come from it when trans fluid came back up the dipstick? when i know for a fact now. the tranny is low. IE i decided to get on the gas hard and see if it would shift fine under wot...

well thats a BIG NO. it just sat and revved and wouldnt shift untill i let off the gas some. which never happend before.

and thats what has me confused. is we tried putting the car in gear. driving. going in reverse. letting it sit. and the car will just get to a point and not want to take anymore fluid it will just come back up to the dipstick. and over flow. and not a drop of oil has leaked from around the tranmission pan area not sure where than drain hole is.

nothign is wrong with the dipstick. when iw as under the car their was no blockage or anything that should hamper the fluid from going in. the filter and pan went on fine.

im stuck trying to figure out what would cause the oil not to filter all the way through. when its obvious its not full.

and i really really dont want to take it to a dealership or other place and be charged for someone to look at it for an hour lol.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

are you sure you seated the filter all the way?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately. i even put it in and pull it out just to make sure the resistance was the same as the old. its in their good.

and something i havent noticed until the last few days. blast of Air keep coming up the dipstick when i open it the first time after driving for a bit. but they become less and less powerfull.

just now i was able to put another qt into the car thats the first time. its let me put that much without it shooting it all back. so i guess im making progress lol. im gonna let it sit over night. run at idle some tommorow. drive a bit and check the level again.

and see if adding that qt will maybe actually show.

if say my tranny was 2 qts low.. would adding 2 qts bring the oil level from the bottom curve lip at the end tip of the dipstick all the way to the full level?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

it only takes a like a pint to go from the bottom of the dipstick to the top. Warm up the car by driving easily at highwat speeds for 10 minutes and park on level ground, then check the level in park. Add a little bit at a time a keep checking til full.