General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High Altitude / Knocking Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Altitude / Knocking Issues

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong post section. I have a completely stock 2001 Camaro SS M6. I recently moved from PA (about 1600 ft elevation) to Colorado (about 6500 ft elevation). Aside from being bummed out at the loss of power due to the thin air , I also notice my LS1 knocks much more now. It knocked a little bit when I was in PA, but now its about three times worse. It mostly occurs on sunny, warm days (low air density) and/or when going uphill in gears 4,5,6.

Someone suggested a higher octane gas, but most gas stations around here only have up to 91 octane, and thats what I always get anyway. Also, I actually read somewhere where it was suggested to try a lower octane, but this did not make sense to me. I had the dealer check the knock sensors, but they found nothing wrong. I'm sure some of you have had the same issue. What solution(s) have you found for this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I may also plan to mod my car in the future. Other than forced induction, are there other ways to compensate for the low air density when I'm choosing cams, valve train, heads, etc. (i.e., should I go more for air velocity instead of air volume?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You are probably mistaking lugging for knocking. Try using lower gears to keep your rpms higher then you have been.

There is nothing better then forced air at altitude.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

seafoam the engine
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blade2222
seafoam the engine
I would have to agree. This cleared up some minor detonation in my daily driver.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MRSS01
I may also plan to mod my car in the future. Other than forced induction, are there other ways to compensate for the low air density when I'm choosing cams, valve train, heads, etc. (i.e., should I go more for air velocity instead of air volume?
I drive my LS1 on a daily basis in the summertime, Colorado Springs, without any knocking issues. But I also just tuned 17,000 miles. I'd seafoam it, change the plugs/wires, and let it go at that. Run 91 octane, and use the same gas station/company when possible. Can't hurt, might help. I use Shell.

As far as modding goes, there's no difference. Pick the parts that exaggerate the power curve you want. So, if you can afford it, buy the biggest cam made, and the best heads made, and go to town.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
You are probably mistaking lugging for knocking. Try using lower gears to keep your rpms higher then you have been.

There is nothing better then forced air at altitude.
how do you know you are getting knock are you using a real time scan tool?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone. I had to look up Seafoam, I've never heard of it. Do you folks use it in all three locations recommened by the manufacturer - fuel tank, crank case, and intake? If so, which vacuum line do you use for the intake treatment?

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 PM

i recently bought a 02 ss. it just turned 28000 mi. i have noticed a cold engine knock also and i live in alabama. i looked at a print out from the dealership on service work on the car i bought and my engine has been taken apart at the dealership and the pistons and rods replaced at 17000 mi. is cold engine knock normal? i use 93 octane bp fuel always. my car is stock with the 345 hp package from slp. thx
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Moving to General Maintenance....