General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bogging down. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bogging down. HELP

I am deployed to the Middle East and have a friend taking care of my car. He installed a Magnaflow cat-back on it and now when he accelerates hard, it will kick down like it's supposed to but then immediately kicks up and bogs really bad. He has reset the computer(by disconnecting the battery terminals) several times. He says it seems to do it more on cool mornings but does it pretty much any time. The car is stock other then the exhaust, a SLP CAI and lid, an optima battery, and a poly tranny mount. Also it keeps getting the gas cap check engine code. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to straighten it out and what it will cost? I'm stuck out here for another month and need to let him know. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has he done anything else ?Could be a tranny problem but that is just a guess.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

maybe the 02 sensors or a dirty MAF sensor or bad cat's
Take the car to auto parts store to get it scanned for codes. it's free
If is a dirty maf sensor buy some MAF SENSOR cleaner at the auto parts for $6 dollars.
If the 02 sensors . to replace them it's about $90 dollars EACH
If the cats are bad (sometimes cause of bad gas or to many miles) to replace them it's about $180 for some highflow cats

My car had the SES light and i didn't fix it in time . So when i took the car in . IT had bad 02 sensors then they fucked up my cats. $260 for parts and labor with the dealership. but the cats were replaced for free under warranty , I had 50,000 miles on my car.

two years later i received a letter saying that the cats on some f body were going bad , and take it for free replacement if i hadn't done so.

If possible fix it yourself and save money , dealership suck
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

So if the dealer won't replace my cats, then would I be able to get away with buying O2 simulators for after the cats and punching the cats out? I'm trying to get out of this as cheap as possible, yet not have stuff go wrong down the road. I don't have to worry about emissions or anything, there just has to be cats there for state inspection.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

WS6 store.com sells the 02 sims. good luck. that would be the cheapest way to go but not the best in the long run. u have to have the emissions (SES) Delete out.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I just have to ask, only because it's not you driving your car. Your freind does know about the traction control, and it's not on, right?

It's a stupid question, but has to be asked anyway. Thank you for your service, by the way. It's important, and I appreciate it very much.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

LOL true! I'm pretty sure he knows about the traction control. I'll ask him anyways. If it is that he's never going to hear the end of it from me. He's an army mechanic.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok I talked to my friend. He had the traction control off. So it isn't that. What do you mean by having the emissions delete out? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to EFI stuff. What would be the most reliable way out? I am still undecided on keeping my car, so I would like to go ahead and fix it for the long term.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

u have to send the computer off to someone with HP turners or something like that to delete the emission completely off. Not clear codes . DELETE
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Okay, what does something like that cost? Would it just be cheaper to buy some high flow cats and O2 simulators instead, or will I have to go with actual O2 sensors? Also what would you recommend I buy first to try and correct it? Sorry for pestering you with all of these questions. Like I said I'm a noob with late model EFI stuff. Thanks alot for the advice.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

U would have to send your computer off ,the price varys i say about $150.?? maybe $200. If you buy high flow cats $132 each and $100 each 02 sims grand total of $464 without shipping. ws6store.com is one of our Sponsors check them out on cats and sims. your not pestering. check out voodooboost.com also . Great prices

Last edited by 5301113; 08-02-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

or you could just get the 02 sims for 90 bucks for two and live with the ses light I'm sure there is a group around you that could kill the codes for you for free. Hell there is a guy in my club that would delete the codes for me for free. Post up in your local area and see if someone would do it for a case of beer (hell i would if i knew how). Just take it slow and within your budget you can live with the ses light as long as the code it is throwing is for the emmisions stuff. Bad rear O2's and cats isn't going to hurt your car, just the birds and trees but that is a small price to pay
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice. I get back in a week, So I can see how bad it is for myself and go from there. Will this lead to any fruther problems down the road to run it the way it is for a few months?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Problems i've heard of is sucking up more gas or running lean or rich. I don't know first hand if thats true. If a SES light is on some states don't pass the car for insection
Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

On rear 02's?? Only the front ones are used for the air/fuel mix the back ones just make sure your cats are working properly. I would think that only if the cats were blown out or clogged would it affect your fuel mix since it would change the flow. My O2's are bad throwing codes and it has been running fine for 55,000 + miles. I just ignore the damn light. Just bought some O2 sims so I shouldn't have to deal with it for some time.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Exhaust leak?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

My friend swears up and down that the exhaust is sealed up tight. He welded it on mimself. He did say that fuel mileage has dropped. If front O2 sensors are for the air/fuel, then what would cause them to go bad? I am not worried about the SES light that has been on since I bought the car(autozone keeps saying its the gas cap code). I am getting back to the states in a week and intend on driving the car to NH about a week and a half after that. I would like to get it fixed before then. Which route should I go given the information I've posted? The main thing is I get my mileage back. It seems that whatever fixes that will fix the bogging down problem as well. Damn I hate having no control over things!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

If you want the best milage possible go ahead and replace both front O2's and pluggs and wires. Not cheap but you will know that those are sorted out, O2's just go out from normal uasage and they also become less efficent as they age. Just a lid and catback shouldn't effect your AF ratio enough to need tuning. Aslo buy some maf cleaner and clean that up if that doesn't take care of it, it's probably something a little more serious. Just take it logically and one step at a time.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Ok so just front O2s should do it for now? I just don't want to be sucking gas on my trip. The car is nearing 60k miles, and as fast as things wear out on these things it's no suprise. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SimplistikTA
So if the dealer won't replace my cats, then would I be able to get away with buying O2 simulators for after the cats and punching the cats out?
Yes.
Originally Posted by SimplistikTA
If front O2 sensors are for the air/fuel, then what would cause them to go bad?
Time.

Don't ever mess with the rear O2's, even if they go out. They do nothing for the car. I don't have them in, don't have the codes tuned out, and dont have sims. The light doesn't bother me.

The front O2's are very important.

Also, try replacng the fuel filter, if that's not already been said/done. Cheap, easy, and quick.