General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing rear main seal?? quick question

Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear main seal?? quick question

Hey i just have a quick question about replacing my rear main seal. I have read 2 different things about replacing the rear main seal...The first thing i have read is that you need some type of special alignment tool when you replace the seal..? Is this true? and if so where can i get this tool? is there anywhere that i can rent it? The 2nd thing that i have read is that GM has a new seal, that does not require any type of alignment tool..i can just pry the old one out..and put the new one in. Is this true? Also the plate that the seal is in...does that have some type of gasket on it that i need to replace? Assuming that i may have to remove the plate to tap out the old seal from the back? Any help would be appreciated..I have to replace my transmission this saturday so i figured while i'm right there i might as well replace the seal since i think its slightly leaking..Alright well thanks again.

-Travis
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a new style seal and yes you are supposed to use the tool to install it. The old seal you can pry out with a screwdriver as long as you dont knick the crankshaft. You dont have to take the rear cover off so you dont need a gasket. The tool is a kent moore tool, something that you will have to either buy or borrow.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joshp14
There is a new style seal and yes you are supposed to use the tool to install it. The old seal you can pry out with a screwdriver as long as you dont knick the crankshaft. You dont have to take the rear cover off so you dont need a gasket. The tool is a kent moore tool, something that you will have to either buy or borrow.
how much is this tool, and where abouts can we pick it up?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ebay, or any GM dealership ordered from parts. I dont know how much it is...probably fairly pricey ($75+) You might call a local dealership and ask to rent it or borrow it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Okay..thanks for the reply..Would you mind explaining a little bit what exactly this tool does? Is it absolutely necessary? or are there ways to do it without using it? I mean its a round seal...going in a round hole? Cant i just tap the new seal in evenly with a hammer? I know obviously there must be more to it if they have a special tool for it..but im just trying to see if there's any way around it..Thanks again

EDIT: I just looked that tool up...and i found it for $301.28 online...
I think i'm gonna just tap that bitch in..what do you think? Is it a really bad idea?

Last edited by Travis99LS1; 07-25-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did one a few weeks ago using the tool. It centers the seal on the crankshaft perfectly and push's it into the bore evenly. If you tap it in with a hammer, you can risk knicking the crankshaft or damaging the seal. Some use a block of wood to tap it in, however, I would recommend using the tool. Also, IIRC, the new style seal sits below the surface of the rear cover so you would have to have a way to drive the seal in farther than the surface of the rear cover.

It would suck getting everything back together and have it leak.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

I had to do mine a couple months ago. I got the newer seal from the dealer. I think it is the 6th version. Anyway, I had to take the cover off because I was to retarded to get the seal out with it on. When you buy the new seal from GM, you get a sturdy plastic guide (It centers the rear main on the end of the crank shaft) that makes the install a snap! The new version of the rear main only has the lip on the outside, making very easy to install. Very little effort. I didn't use a special tool and I have no leaks.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Here's a pic of the tool and how to use it the file name is the GM part number.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing rear main seal?? quick question-j-41479.gif  

Search this Thread