General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New noise, please help!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New noise, please help!

Started to hear a noticable howling sound yesterday. It's definately coming from the engine bay and it changes frequency and volume as the RPM increases. Seems to actually be louder toward the back of the engine almost like it's coming from the back of the intake, but I don't know what it could be back there. In the car, it almost sounds like when you listen to an AM radio channel and don't have a great antenna ground, you know that whirring sound that gets faster as the car gets faster? Anyway, I'm thinking it's one of my pulleys, the car has 122,000 miles. I'll try and get a video off it and post later, but does anyone have any thoughts what this could be?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your ac pulley tensioner, mine sounded like that and because its so low on the engine its hard to find out where its comin from because it echos off the ground. Take some wd40 and spray it on the pulleys one at a time till the noise stops, once it stops youll know which pulley/tensioner to replace
Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
check your ac pulley tensioner, mine sounded like that and because its so low on the engine its hard to find out where its comin from because it echos off the ground. Take some wd40 and spray it on the pulleys one at a time till the noise stops, once it stops youll know which pulley/tensioner to replace

Yea, I had that one go out once already about 10,000 miles ago that why the pulley's were my first thought. I'll shoot some WD40 tonight and see what happens. I imageine its the other tensioer now if thats what it is. Anyway this could be something more sever, not a hypochondriac or anything, but I don't wanna swap my cam this weekend if I'm about to loose the motor.

Search this Thread