General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Do I need to change plugs/plug wires yet?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to change plugs/plug wires yet?

I have searched and found some result on wires, but nothing really on plugs. My car has 93,9xx miles on it and is pretty much bone stock besides the mods in my sig. It seems as though it's running fine, but I have a couple of friends (f-body owners) that have mentioned better performance/gas mileage from changing plugs and plug wires. I know the GM stock pieces are supposed to be rated for high mileage, but I'm new to the f-body scene and I just wanted some opinions from some of you experienced guys out there that may have done it and experienced gains...or nothing lol. Also, some recommendations for some good wires and plugs for a DD w/ very minimal track use would be greatly appreciated. This is kind of off topic, but I deleted the egr completely yesterday just to remove some clutter from the engine, and I was curious about an easy way to clear the SES code from the computer. I already tried a reset, but it didn't work just as I expected it wouldn't. Thanks in advance guys!

Aaron
Old 07-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

BTW I have also done the complete Seafoam as stickied on this forum (2 cans + deep creep).
Old 07-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Launching!

plugs are rated for 100k miles on theese cars becuase they are a bitch to change, especialy number 8 however you are approaching that number, and im sure they aernt babbied miles Ide say go for it. as for wires ive heard great things about talylor- and msd makes them also i believe
Old 07-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Actually when I did the seafoam, very little smoke came out, and I assume this was a good thing (I hope lol). I'm the second owner and it has been pretty well taken care of from what I can tell, and it was bone stock when I got it. Any suggestions on plugs? I've heard good stuff about the NGKs, but I don't wanna have to replace them every 20-30k miles...hence why I said a good DD plug lol.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NGK and MSD IMO: Taylor wires pull apart too easy. Be careful installing them to not leave them touching anywhere as they will burn. Don't forget to gap them you don't want to do the plugs twice.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

How long will the NGK plugs last?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Launching!

jsut get the good ole' acdelco plugs, they are great
Old 07-28-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe they still call today's gas "no lead". This is the secret to plug longevity. Years ago when there was leaded fuel, the burnt lead byproducts were corosive to the plugs. Plugs had to be replaced often.

Today we have heat damage mostly, this fatigues the metal and the gap opens.

If you really want to be smart, you will pull the easiest plug to get and check it carefully:
1. Check the gap (measure it)
2. Check the color
3. Check for deposits
4. Check wear (loss of material in the electrode & arm)
Then replace all of them any ways, its a performance car. They are cheap parts.
While your at it replace your front O2 sensors,they are the heart of your tuning and only work "perfectly" for a few years.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

do a full service to the car
1.fluids [eng. oil GC 0w-30, tranny if M6 (dextron3), rear end (75w-90) with one bottle of gm friction modifier]
2.filters(oil, fuel, air)
3.plugs and wires(ngk TR55 or delcos, ur choice wires its all the same)
4.02 sensors(get the corvette rears if u plan on gettin longtubes)
5.clean ur IAC valve
6.coolant flush(flush & refill, use 50% distilled/and 50% dex-cool)

ur car will love u for it, and u get the peace of mind that everything is new

ohh yeah the reason i said change the tranny fluid only if its a M6 is cuz if ur car is auto many people have had their high milage A4's crapout on them after a oil flush and fill, M6 seem to be less sensitive when it comes to changing the fluid, just mak sure u dont use synthetic in the tranny

Last edited by mcamarols1; 07-28-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Plugs are not that bad to change out, It just takes the right tools and patiance. Btw if you have aftermarket exhast manifolds (headers) it makes it easier
Old 07-28-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Plugs are not that bad to change out, It just takes the right tools and patiance. Btw if you have aftermarket exhast manifolds (headers) it makes it easier
This is true its not bad, after a fashion you can do it in a half hour to 40 min.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Fastest i have done is 30 min.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I have just recently changed the oil and filter (because I did the seafoam treatment) and I just had them put some decent 10w-30 (Castrol I think) because I'm gonna change this oil at prob 1500 miles just to be safe. I'm going to change the fuel filter this week (any recommendations there?) and it had a brand new k & n when I bought the car about 3000 miles ago. I will also prob get the rear end fluid changed at the end of next week, and I'm prob gonna use Royal Purple unless you guys know of something better. I agree it's a cheap repair for a performance car, and I'll prob change them anyway. I was just curious if some of you had done it and experience nothing from it. Also, about the o2 sensors, best place to get them? BTW I have stock manifolds and y-pipe w/ a catback.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone else w/ an opinion? Anybody thought it was a waste?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

I changed my plugs on 22K mls for the hell of it, NGK's cost me $21,I dont like wasting $ but I like working on my car, didnt notice any difference however! Ohh, and the fuel filter too,it ran a little smoother from that
Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get AC Delco or Autolites. NGK's are made in Japan If you do get the NGK's they are good for 10-15,000 miles. BTW if your plugs are original they are almost 10 years old. I say change them ASAP. Also its not that hard to change them just take the coil packs on the passenger side off. I also forgot to mention that when i changed my plugs on my SS @ 50,000 miles the stockers didn't look all that good.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took the factory plugs out of my '98 Formula at 86,000 miles, and they are still good. They are already over 10 years old.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
If you do get the NGK's they are good for 10-15,000 miles.
Unless you're referring to the NGK TR6 (colder heat range for N2O) plug, this is incorrect.

The stock heat range TR55s are good for about 25-30k miles. That's what I'm using right now, but I plan to try the AC Delco Iridiums next.

BTW, moving thread to General Maintenance & Repairs....
Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

AC Delco Iridiums are the way to go, But they are pricey.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

How pricey are the Delco Iridiums? My buddy that's gonna help me said he uses Autolites cause they're pretty cheap, but I don't care to pay a little extra to get a better/longer-lasting plug. Changed the fuel filter yesterday and it was crap...gas was just barely dripping through it when I blew through it. Replaced it w/ a Wix and I can tell a difference in how smooth it idles and throttle response (not much though). So basically consensus is...change them and use AC Delcos or NGKs? Does anyone have a bad experience w/ either one of these? I'm a fan of getting my info first, making an informed decision, and getting it right the first time, rather than making a rash decision and having to redo. Thanks guys for all the input so far.

Search this Thread