General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear axle question please !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle question please !!!

I was getting a knocking noise that I was feeling on the pedals area everytime I drive over a hole or an even road, I thought it was a shock or a ball joint, it took almost two months to realize that if you feel a knocking sound on the frame of the car it could basically be coming from anywhere not only the front.
So, I thought to give a try and lift the rear this time and check if everything is ok. Well, everything was ok but before I went to lower it down I "Shook" the wheels left and right and then IN AND OUT and found out that for SOME reason the driver side rear wheel actually has a "Gap" of maybe less than a quarter of an inch, I mean you can move it IN AND OUT but you couldn't move the other side that way.
I took the wheel off thinking my brake pads are so bad that the rotor is a little bit off free movement hitting somthing, I ended up taking the brake off and then the rotor and then found out that the whole axle actually moves in and out, again, not talking even a quarter of an inch movement but that's what was making the noise everytime the car drives over an uneven area.

Sorry I wrote too much, what do you guys think, will it at some point just snap off the rear end if I keep abusing it? what could cause the axle to move like that?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is odd, could be a snap ring or a rear axale bearings well it depends do u have traction control?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad carrier bearing? That would let the axle move in and out a little bit. Might be time to do some rear end work.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 AM
On The Tree

I think I'm having the same problem with my TA.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would check all the bearings and see that the c clips, (paddle if you have a zexel, exciters if you have TCS) are all in good working condition. I would suspect you would be picking up noise from the bearings if they were causing this, but that is not always the case.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

I've been having this problem with my car since I bought it. I have taken it to the track several times last summer and drove it to NH twice from VA. I beat on my car pretty hard. It is stock except for a CAI, lid, and cat back. It's just annoying to me. How much would something like this cost to fix? can I get out of it cheap or should I be proactive and upgrade my whole rear end? I don't plan on doing any other mods any time soon.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

with posi, c-clips are all that hold the axle. This would be located inside the posi housing inside your rear differential. There is a pin (1/2'' dia) that drives itself through this housing between the two axles. I would definitely take a look inside, because the scenario you described should not happen given the proper parts/assembly.