General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wont crank, security light on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont crank, security light on?

Hey guys so i get out of work today, get in the car, turn the key..... NOTHING!!! Radio works, lights work, horn works, etc. So I try to jump it anyway and it starts. Amp meter is at 13-14 so it seems to be charging fine. I figure the battery is going. I work right next to a pepboys so i pull over there, buy a new battery, throw it in..... NOTHING!!! Test the old battery and it's fine. Put it back in and try it again.... Still nothing. Try another jump, nothing... So I try to start it several times and finally just messing with the ignition it cranks and starts right up. It runs fine and I drove it home my 45 minute commute. So while I'm driving home the security light comes on in the dash for about 5 minutes and then goes out. I finally get home and shut it down. Then try to crank it back and it starts right up. Try it again and nothing, again. I now notice that when it wont crank the security light is on. It seems like the security system is cutting the ignition. I tried to lock and unlock it etc. to see if the security light would go off and it still wouldn't go off. Maybe the chip in the ignition key is screwed up? I only have one key so I don't have another to try. Has anyone had anything like this before? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

try cleaning the chip on your key or using your spare key if you have one,Sounds like a VATS (vehicle anti theft system)problem
Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Launching!

No spare key. I'll try cleaning the one I have though.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem.....mine just went away after a few times of turning the key....hasnt done it since
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamjamWS6
I had the same problem.....mine just went away after a few times of turning the key....hasnt done it since
Doesn't look like I'm gonna be so lucky.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah mine did the same thing. It didn't start once then it went away for awhile and then it happened while i was out of town. My issue was the ignition was not working properly and the VATS was not recognizing the resistor on the key. I bypassed the system and works everytime. I would recommend changing your ignition cylinder and getting new keys with it because the VATS might come in handy. One thing that worked for me was that I could push started since it was manual.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Launching!

mine has done the same thing twice and i have found if you open the trunk and shut it...or open the hood and shut it...open & close the doors..
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Same problem here.
Security light cleared by resetting the pcm.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Default Update

My key was the problem. Sometimes engine would not crank until I tried it several times. When started, it threw a security light that stayed on.
Tried my wife's rarely used key and problem solved.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

inside the key cylinder there is two wires that detect the resistance coming off the little black thing on your key . your key has a set resistance known to the car's computer so your car can not be hot wired .
these wires on the end of your cylinder get loose and eventually will notlet your carcrankor at least inmy case . i have a write up on how i fixed this somewhere with pics.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok found mylink now and another goodon . scrolldown on both links . the first one is where i am talking about it andthe other one iswhere theother dude is.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/502913-vats-taking-crap.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/475728-no-start-engine-will-not-rotate.html

Last edited by snake charmer; 08-06-2007 at 04:04 PM.