General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I seriously need to fix this tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I seriously need to fix this tick

I have a tick that I can't for the life of me sigure out where its coming from. Had it for alsomst a year now. Thought it was a couple things I fixed, none helped.

Meinake said it wasn't an exhaust tick. I fixed bad plug, and some plugwires. I dunno what it could be.

If I seafoam the car, will black smoke come out of anywhere an exhaust tick might be coming from?

What do I need to do to find out what it is?

It's coming from the passinger side of the engine. Most audible coming from under the car it seems. From most areas it sounds like a tick, soometimes it sounds like a tap?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Still sounds like a small exhaust leak to me. Check the AIR tube gasket. Did you change plugs and move the AIR tube without using a new gasket, that will do it. If it has been going on since the header install, it might be a leak there.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Could be a pushrod too. Sound travels through these motors so it's hard to pinpoint problems.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Teching In

This may sound silly, but I had one heck of a ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the motor and it bugged the hell out of me. After checking everything, I finally dug into the dash behind the radio and found that the culprit was the module that controlled the daytime running lights. That dude ticked like a time bomb. I replaced it and it took care of it. What lead me to that was the fact that I had noticed that when I pulled the parking brake up, the tick stopped.... weird.
Thought I would pass that along.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Resident

I'll check the parking brake thing.

I actually removed the air. I used new gaskets when I made the cover plates.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

We'll I tracked it down atleast. It stops ticking when I press on one of the spark plug wires. I don't want to reach in there quite yet because I'll burn myself on the headers.

Either its loose or I need a new wire i guess.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im curious about that. I HAVE the Exact same issue.

though i do have a bolt on TSP true dual exahuast but i dont think thats it because though it is loudest from under the passenger side. i dont think it would make this ticking sound from the exhaust to header point. and it seem alittle higher up. can a loose plug wire cause the ticking sound?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

I found out one of the spark plugs had actually backed itseld out causing the tick. This has happened before, my engine spits spark plugs out like none other. anyway, I put it back in.

I still think the spark plug wire is broke. Theres alot of wiggle in the boot that cvonnects to the spark plugs. The other wires are pretty firm. Too bad I can't buy just one wire...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

I just fixed my ticking sound that I could never figure out what it was. It was my stock spark plug wires. The old ones became crap when i removed them for the first time ever, when doing the header install. Also make sure your spark plugs are tightened in (not to hard tho).