General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Fell From Jack

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Fell From Jack

Well I was jackign the car up to replace the panhard bar and the lcas today and obviously from the title all did not go as planned. When I was lowering the car onto the jack stands the jack went from slowly lowering to just a flat drop. The car fell about 1/4" onto the jack stands. The stands were positioned under the frame not under and axel or anything. The doors still open and shut normally, doesnt seem to be any damage to that part of the frame, windows seal well, and I didnt notice any differences during driving. Could I have done anything besides just scaring the **** out of myself?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you're just overreacting lol. A drop from a 1/4" won't do much. I was expecting to hear that you dropped it from a few feet lol...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Falling 1/4" isn't going to hurt anything. Friend of mine had his thumbnail smashed while lowering his car onto jack stands - wasn't pretty. Being scared makes you safe.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Haha yeah it wasnt much, but I was under the rear of the car jacking it up from the diff so it was pretty damn scary to hear the car crash down on the stands. I agree though that frear makes you safer. Im definitely goign to be more careful tomorrow when I put it up again.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hell yeah, I use two jacks and two stands when maitnance/modding. I have fears of the car dropping on me and not only getting crushed but also getting burned by my headers......that would suck.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the jack stands were at the jacking points on the rear frame rails you'll be fine.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my old car I was just using a cheap car jack to change a tire and do brakes, didn't have jack stands, was a dumb teen at the time and decided to try. It buckled, failed and the car "fell" with the rotor missing my foot by a only a few inches...

Needless to say that with what little money I had, I bought a proper jack and jack stand kit after that.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

LOL thats nothing i do it all the time when i lower my car on jack
Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats scary ****. I always am reluctant to get under the car even with the jackstands because of the numerous stories i have heard. nonetheless, keep it safe bro
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

eveytime work on my car I use jacks or big blocks of wood and a tire stop.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

I have 2 sets of rhino ramps(the 12,000lbs ones) that I put the car on when im doing anything but suspension work. Even then I usually put them under the tires as a safety measure in addition to the jackstands(if the tires are on that is).

One time durring a clutch job I was being stupid and forgot that my buddies car was lower than mine, well on mine I can crawl under the car with the car on the ramps and go completely under it on my back. I was on a creeper this time and forgot and I was under the car and it was lifted off the ramps for some reason and i told him to just go ahead and lower the car on the ramp with me under it. He did slowly thank god and I was able to gasp out stop as it was beginning to crush my ribcage... never again. lol.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay
I have 2 sets of rhino ramps(the 12,000lbs ones) that I put the car on when im doing anything but suspension work. Even then I usually put them under the tires as a safety measure in addition to the jackstands(if the tires are on that is).

One time durring a clutch job I was being stupid and forgot that my buddies car was lower than mine, well on mine I can crawl under the car with the car on the ramps and go completely under it on my back. I was on a creeper this time and forgot and I was under the car and it was lifted off the ramps for some reason and i told him to just go ahead and lower the car on the ramp with me under it. He did slowly thank god and I was able to gasp out stop as it was beginning to crush my ribcage... never again. lol.
Wow, Thats scary I would never be under a car while its moving.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay

Wow that's a frightening picture. Be more careful or you might end up a star in "Scarred" or "Jackass #3"
Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Wow, Thats scary I would never be under a car while its moving.
Yea that just made my ribcage hurt,you're nuts
Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

I've always been careful about getting under the car. even if I'm not under it I'll use stands for simple work. but I was jacking it using the the factory jack to change my fuel pump. halfway up it toppled over, destroyed the jack and put a huge dent into my driver side rocker panel. I've never been so pissed in my life. That night I went out and bought a nice, expensive jack, best one I could find in the stores lol.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM

i used my 4 ton craftsman floor jack and it bent the pinch welds? what gives? how are you guys jacking that it doesn't damage anything? thanks for any input i reall y look like a newb now, LOL!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean by pinch welds? Are you talking about the fender connections just rear of the front tires?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM

the part where the factory jack slides onto, the lowest point of the car along the sides
Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

My mechanic told me that a buddy of his died when he jacked up his car with his wheel jacks while installing an exhaust...car fell on top of him when the jacks snapped or sumthin...i didnt really push for details...but yeah, I'm buying like four 4ton jackstands if i need to lift my car off the ground for an extended period of time.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Launching!

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ift_points.htm