General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Valvetrain click? Need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valvetrain click? Need help ASAP!

I dropped my girlfriend off at her house and when I came back someone was parked in front of my ******* house in my spot so I turned left to do a quick three-point in the one-way road. Well I was angry and the ground was wet from rain so it kicked the tires loose and threw my ASR on. I put it in first and pulled forward next to the curb to park and noticed it drove a little shaky and was making a clicking noise. I gave it just a hair of gas and the noise sped up so I popped my hood. As soon as I started to open the door, the car just up and died. I tried starting it back up and it fires up, makes the clicking noise, and dies again. Did it twice.

I'm thinking pushrod? Maybe rocker arm? Would that really make the car die though?

My mom's gonna drop me off at work tomorrow and I'm going to bum a ride home. I'll be pulling my valve covers to check it out when I'm done work.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah pull the valve covers and take a look. Might be a bent pushrod. My friends did about the same thing and his was a exhaust leak. His blew half the gasket off his A.I.R block off plate. First time I ever hear an exhaust leak sound like a pushrod or lifter.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would that really make the car die while running and after starting? It just seems odd that it won't even stay running.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No luck before work but I don't hear the clicking anymore. However, it still wants to die if I'm not giving it gas. And if I do give it gas to keep it running, it sounds terrible.

My dad says he thinks the timing chain might have jumped a tooth.

Can I get to the chain without removing the radiator? And it looks like I'll have to try to rent a pulley puller from Advanced tonight to get to it. Damn it looks like a lot of work to get to the chain just to check the timing.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention any codes, thinking you should check for any first. Might identify which bank it is or if something else is going on. JMO
Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

First things first, pull your valve covers and look at your rocker arms. It doesn't cost you anything and it's not that hard. I bet you find one thats thrashed and blown all the needle bearings out. Happened to me...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Un-*******-believable...

So I started it up at lunch and it idled. It was missing but it idled on its own. So after work, I had my dad help me out. I tried running it after pulling a couple plug wires off the coilpacks to see how it ran and it still ran like **** (obviously). So I drove it the 100 yards down the road to the performance shop and they took a look at it. When I got it down there, it was clicking real bad like a rocker arm. I turned it off and one of the guys pulled the tube off the AIR and said "There it is".

The motherfucking #8 plug wire was completely off. Ridiculous... I guess it just popped off? It had some light corrosion on it (turquoise residue). I just babied it back to my house and spent 25 goddamn minutes trying to get it back on because it's the worst plug to reach.

Now it runs fine.

But I dropped the gasket for the AIR and one of the bolts for the AIR and it's sitting on my front subframe somewhere.

DAMNIT

So should I just use some RTV for the AIR tube and somehow get another bolt for it? I wouldn't even know where to get one that will work. My SES light is on right now (came on during the short drive back to my house) so I'm going to reset the ECU and see if it goes out. If the AIR is leaking, the car should just throw a code right?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your dash didn't light with any flickering? I assume the clicking was the arcing?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. That's exactly what it was. And no, I didn't notice any sort of electrical gremlin going on. The clicking was super loud as well.

I'm just glad it's fixed... it's crucial being my only car.

I'm in the process of finding a beater so I can just drive this on the weekends and get it off the road in the winter.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

injectors can tick also
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just thinking that. My injectors are very loud and almost sounds like metal on metal contact...