General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine surging on cold starts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine surging on cold starts.

I have a 02 Z28 with 30,xxx miles. The only mods are Volant CAI, Granatelli MAF, BBK 85MM TB, and Borla catback.

When I first start it up after the car has been sitting the RPM's will surge between 800 and 1300 or so. Its like I am very lightly tapping the gas then letting off. I was wondering if it was having trouble getting fuel ( only had maybe a gallon or two in the tank ) so I gave it some gas and brought the RPM's to 4K. It made the little popping noises that you normally hear when you shift. I was like WTF so I just let it run a little bit.

Then after it ran for another min or two, it went to a steady idle of around 900 or 1000. It also didn't do the little pop noises when I hit the gas ( although it does them most of the time when I shift at more than 4K rpm in low gears )

Is this the best place to post this or should it be in the Engine section?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the IAT sensor in the lid, the MAF since its aftermarket...and the check the engine for air leaks...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 AM

What is the IAT sensor? I don't see any sensors or probes in my filter.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

intake air temp.....you should have it in your lid or near the lid......
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 AM

I don't have a lid, the car came with a volant CAI kit. Here is a pic:

http://www.redlineperformanceenginee...om/volant1.jpg
Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Did you make any recent changes to the car just before this issue started?

PS. Moving to General Maintenance & Repairs....
Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by plainred02Z
I have a 02 Z28 with 30,xxx miles. The only mods are Volant CAI, Granatelli MAF, BBK 85MM TB, and Borla catback.

When I first start it up after the car has been sitting the RPM's will surge between 800 and 1300 or so. Its like I am very lightly tapping the gas then letting off. I was wondering if it was having trouble getting fuel ( only had maybe a gallon or two in the tank ) so I gave it some gas and brought the RPM's to 4K. It made the little popping noises that you normally hear when you shift. I was like WTF so I just let it run a little bit.

Then after it ran for another min or two, it went to a steady idle of around 900 or 1000. It also didn't do the little pop noises when I hit the gas ( although it does them most of the time when I shift at more than 4K rpm in low gears )

Is this the best place to post this or should it be in the Engine section?
Start it up and let it get warmed up to operating temp. After its running smooth and idling normal, pop the hood and pull the plug on your TPS and see if the throttle still works like normal (give it some revs). Than pull the plug on the MAF and see if the engine still works normal. If you can go drive your car with the TPS and/or the MAF unplugged, your PCM has gone to Speed Density tune.

Mine did that and I got the exact same surging on cold start up as you describe, than it would smooth out and idle normal.....and it would drive around 100% normal. You cannot tell the engine/PCM is in SD tune.

Mine was in SD tune and I could go drive around NORMALLY and the engine performed perfect.....with BOTH the MAF and TPS unplugged.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM

why would my PCM be in SD tune? Don't you have to go to a tuner and pay $500 bucks for that? I doubt the person who used to own this car did that as it doesn't have any big mods that warrant a tune. Also, why would he leave the MAF on there if its got a SD tune done?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by plainred02Z
Don't you have to go to a tuner and pay $500 bucks for that?
No.

If a part like the TPS or MAF fail, the PCM will automatically default to a SD tune. Mine did just that, the PCM is supposed to do that so you can still drive the car. And it drives perfectly. Mine did for over a year before I realized it.

Just do the tests I described and see if it happens. Have a buddy sit in the drivers seat so he can turn the engine off in case it revs up a bit when you do it...just in case.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I changed the MAF back to the stock one and re-set the pcm. The car runs better now and does not do the surging on cold starts.