General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security light, flashing, car wont start???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Security light, flashing, car wont start???

well i was working all day from 8am-7pm, in florida where it was about 95* out. It was friday and i was in a hurry to get to my local track for street night and got in the car and everything came on but it wouldnt start. it was like the clutch wasnt in all the way. i noticed that the security light was flashing, i pluged in the tunner and it was throwing a anti-security code, then i unpluged it and it started. that was the first time it happened, then 2 days later it did it again. has anyone ever had this same problem, i dont know what to do about it.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The resistor in your key might be bad. The reason it started after plugging in the tuner has nothing to do with the tuner. If the PassKey shuts off the engine all you have to do is wait 10 minutes and you can start the car. That's probably the amount of time you took to check for codes. Search here or elsewhere for info on Pass-Key II theft prevention. It's in the manual, if you have one.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A million other people have had the problem. Try washing the resistor on the key with a little alcohol. If that doesn't work go get a new key. The new key worked for me for about a year because I guess the resistor on the old key had gotten worn down. After about a year it started again and I would just turn the key off and wait a few minutes and it would start again. After about 3 months of doing that it finally left me stranded at walmart at 3 in the morning. I went back the next day and after about an hour of turning the key on and off it started. I drove it to the chevy dealership and it was $450 to replace the lock cylinder.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet one of the two white wires in the tumbler broke. I dont know how many times Ive seen this. You can either try another key(Your spare). Measure the resistance of your key and bypass it. Or fix it right and replace the tumbler assembly.

Quick Reply: Security light, flashing, car wont start???