General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just got new brakes...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Just got new brakes...a few questions

First off, I put this in General Help because it falls somewhere between braking and appearance. My car is a 2001 Black WS6 by the way.

I recently purchased Hawk HPS pads, Baer drilled and slotted rotors, and stainless steel brake lines. My first question is whether or not this is a good setup for what I paid, since I still havent installed any of it. I got everything for $640. My second question is in terms of paint. I currently have my calipers and bracket painted red, as well as the backs of the current brake pads I have in. When I put the hawk pads in, if I dont paint them there will be a contrast of red calipers and black pad backing. Im not sure if I should leave them for the look of contrast or paint them red. Also, I have seen people paint the center of their rotors red, silver, or black. Once again, which would look best in your opinion, and also does one clearcoat over the rotors after spraying them with the colored paint? Any pics of examples of my possibilities or general advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone will tell you something different but my opinion is I do not like cross drilled rotors. They look cool and all but if your hard on em tend to crack and look ugly. And I really dont know if the holes help. Im a believer in slots. Not that I think they do much but I think they do something. I use to get bad brake fade in my eclipse. I put slotted rotors and EBC pads on and it helped a lot. It may have just been the pads though. who knows. You probably paid a good bit for those rotors. The stainless lines are a good buy.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Well he already bought them so go for it buddy. The brake lines should help out nicely against brake fade, I would reccomend a full brake system flush while your at it. I used ATE superblue fluid.

Don't paint the back of the brake pad, at least not red. Just keep the calipers painted. Personally painting the brake pads and rotors hats is kinda goofy... too much going on. Keep it simple.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah if you are gonna paint the center of the rotors just do a silver. Depending the on the quality the centers can get a lil ugly. Paintin it silver will keep em lookin pretty. I think mine have a zinc coating so they are holding up nice.