General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C compressor problems

Ok, my old a/c compressor went out on my 98 Z, I am getting ready to install a new one. How much of the compressor oil does it take and is there a walkthrough or anything on tips i should know when installing it, that way I do not mess anything up????
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Usually the compressor itslef takes about 4oz of pag oil. What was the reason you are replacing the compressor??
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Teching In

the clutch locked up and I just went ahead and bought a new compressor cause I am getting ready to sell the car and I don't want someone to buy it then the A/C go out on them.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

On a related note, I don't mean to hijack but this would def fit here.

I tracked a big leak down to my compressor.
I've searched and read that unuse can cause a leak, and admittedly I NEVER use my AC.
I've prob run it for about an hour since I've owned the car for 3 years.

Just wondering if its easy enough to add the oil since it's prob lost about an Oz. or more since the leak started.
I've read you CAN add it I just can't think of where I would.
My Haynes manual doesn't' say much.
I've read there's an in and an out but during my motor mount install and other escapades around it I don't remember any fill holes.

Can one fill it themselves or should I pull the belt and wait till I can get it to a HVAC service center?

thanks anyone,
~T
Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakEaterZ28
the clutch locked up and I just went ahead and bought a new compressor cause I am getting ready to sell the car and I don't want someone to buy it then the A/C go out on them.
Check the orifice tube and see if its all clogged up with shinny metal. If it is, then the compressor blew up and there is tons of that **** all in the system. I had to replace the compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, and condensor to get the system back up to speed. Also I cleaned out all the lines really good and ran a vaccuum on it for about an hour. Make sure you dont have any leaks as well. My compressor also went out due to the fact that I would hardly use it, but not anymore. I have that sucker on at least 3 time a week. Dont want to go through that again. And it wasnt cheap either!!!