General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Help

I need some help with a 2001 LS1 AC compressor change. I know a cardinal rule of changing compressors is always getting a new one, but I couldn't afford the 400 bucks for an AC compressor, so I got a used one from another LS1. All that aside, I need to know a few things. This is my plan of attack in repairing my AC.

1.) Take car to shop to evacuate and flush system to remove any debris from lines/condensor etc.
2.) Buy new orifice tube and refrigerant oil.
3.) Prep new compressor by draining all old refrigerant oil and making sure connections are clean.
4.) Disconnect battery, electrical connections and tubing running to compressor.
5.) Remove compressor and install new/old one and hook up all lines.

So now my question is now what? When do I replace the orifice tube. Where is the drier filter on this motor? After all is hooked back up, I need to take it to the AC shop again and get a vacuum on it and then I can recharge it. I know I have some holes in my procedure, but that's why I have the experience and help of a forum behind me.............any help is much appreciated.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to replace the orifice tube before you pump in any new oil/freon (r134) in it. You have to do this all at the same time. Draining the oil and putting in some fresh oil is a good idea (about 4oz of pag oil should do). You also have to replace the accumulator as well (put in about 3oz in there as well. Its good to put a vaccuum on it to get all the moisture out of the lines before you pump in the refrigerant into the system. I let it sit for about an hour on that.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I did this and it was a PITA. What you need to do is evac the system. Then you need to take the lines off and flush them all out with a solvent you can find at pep boys or something. Then you need to blow compressed air through all the lines and the condensor and such to get all the solvent and debris out. If your compressor before didn't have a catastrophic failure and there isn't a lot of debris in the orifice tube you should be ok. Replace the orifice tube after flushing the liquid line. You WILL need to replace the accumulator, it's 40 bucks and it will save you another compressor failure. You'll need to add some PAG oil to the accumulator and maybe a bit to the compressor. Once you hook everything back up, you'll need to turn the compressor by hand at least 10 full turns in the direction it needs to go (i can't remember clockwise or counter) Then you can have a vacuum and recharge on it. Jack stands are very helpful of course. I might be leaving some things out but maybe someone can fill in for you.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Teching In

And well if you're taking it to the shop to have it evacuated and flushed by them, they will have all the lines off at that point and you might as well just hand them the compressor/accumulator/orifice tube and let them finish the job!