General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how to remove drivers side window...search is out(need info asap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to remove drivers side window...search is out(need info asap)

I'm having to replace the "tray"(dont know what its called) that the window sits in because a part of it broke off(little piece sticking out that keeps the window from moving around all over the place)...I thought that I would just have to drill out the 3 rivets...and pull the "tray" out the bottom..replacing it with the new one...but now i think i need to take the window completely out to do it...any help please
Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi found this info - I copy it because I did not know how to link it. thank Glitch77

Window Replacement - Door

Removal Procedure

1. Lower window about halfway.
2. Remove front side door trim.
3. Remove water deflector.

4. Support the window in a position needed to access the window rivets by inserting rubber wedge door stops at the front and rear of the window between the window and the door inner panel.
5. Remove the window rivets with a 1/4 inch drill bit.
6. Remove window by raising out of door.

Important
Inspect window bushings, window bushing retainers, window front up stop, window stabilizer pins and window wedges on the window for damage.

7. Remove window bushings and window bushing retainers if necessary, using a flat-bladed tool covered with cloth body tape.
8. Remove window front up-stop bolt/screw if necessary.
9. Remove window front up-stop, front up-stop nut and front up-stop washer if necessary.
10. Remove window stabilizer bolts/screws, if necessary.
11. Remove window stabilizer pins, stabilizer pin nuts and window wedges if necessary.

Installation Procedure

1. Install window stabilizer pins, stabilizer pin nuts and window wedges if necessary.

2. Install window stabilizer bolts/screws, if necessary. Tighten
Tighten the bolts/screws to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

3. Install stabilizer pin nuts, if removed. Tighten
Tighten the window stabilizer pin nuts to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

4. Install window front up-stop washer, if removed.

5. Install window front up-stop bolt/screw, if removed. Tighten
Tighten the window front up-stop bolt/screw to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

6. Install window front up-stop nut if removed. Tighten
Tighten the window front up-stop nut to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

7. Install window bushings and bushing retainers, if removed.
8. Install window into door so that holes in window bushings line up with holes in channel.
9. Install window rivets in sequence.
10. Install water deflector. Refer to Water Deflector Replacement - Door .
11. Install front side door trim. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Door .
12. Raise window.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Ok I had the SAME problem on my drivers side window... The thing moved all over the place and my junk started to leak because of it. Anyway, I picked up the part at a gm dealership for 50 bucks and then paid someone 100 bucks (a mobile car window repair service) to fix it because it is a PAIN to try to do it yourself with the rivets and everything. The guy was done in 30 mins and I'm sure it's not worth the trouble to do it yourself.

It's the metal part that's supposed to hold the ball on the regulator right? the bottom broke off so the little ball slides down the track? I can get the part number if you need it, let me know and just get it from a dealership.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nshark
Ok I had the SAME problem on my drivers side window... The thing moved all over the place and my junk started to leak because of it. Anyway, I picked up the part at a gm dealership for 50 bucks and then paid someone 100 bucks (a mobile car window repair service) to fix it because it is a PAIN to try to do it yourself with the rivets and everything. The guy was done in 30 mins and I'm sure it's not worth the trouble to do it yourself.

It's the metal part that's supposed to hold the ball on the regulator right? the bottom broke off so the little ball slides down the track? I can get the part number if you need it, let me know and just get it from a dealership.
yeah thats it...i already bought the part....100 bucks to install?...dang...i think i'm gonna try it again myself..i have a rivet gun
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Well if you have a rivet gun i'm sure that will help a lot. But I didn't have any idea how to tackle the problem and I wasn't about to ruin anything to find out. I couldn't find a write-up like the one above so good luck to your sir.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I just took my window out a couple of days ago......
take door panel off..you will need to postion the window up or down throughout the whole thing..remove the felts guides on the inside on top of the door..be careful after this cause you can scratch the window when moved up and down...now loosen the yellow stopper to your right and push down, its on the inside of the door...remove the guide bracket that is on the left that keeps the window controlled going up and down..slide it off the roller...unbolt the motor scissor arm next to it...now roll the window down about half way...when rolling down or up always keep you hands pushing the window away from you to keep it from rubbing the door...also be careful of the automatic roll, where the window just keeps going down after the button is pushed....watch the rollers on the arms inside the guide and you need to work the front one out first then the back one..right to left...your just going to half to work the window back and forth until you can get the back roller out then once thats out your going to have to work it out of the door because the bracket will catch on the door...this is just a rough how-to but you will found out your own way once you get to taking stuff apart..

Quick Reply: how to remove drivers side window...search is out(need info asap)