General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattle sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rattle sound?

This is likely a repeat thread but I'll try anyways. Last night I was on my way home from work when I passed a friend who yelled out to me, so put it in reverse and then accelerated backwords to chat, when I let out the clutch the car like wheel hopped violently and the low trac like came on, guess I did it too fast. Didn't notice anything when I continued the drive home.

This morning on my way to work I noticed a sort of rattle or soft vibration coming from the center or passenger side of the front of the car, you can hear individual clinks when under acceleration and just a constant noise when idling. This may be unrelated but when I got to work I gave the car a quick inspection and noticed that one of the bracets holding an exhaust hanger up was gone, however I couldn't physically shake anything by hand which leads me to believe its something else. For all I know it's something inside the cat or more likely I shook something loose.

I'm just worried it will be expensive
Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure I'm gonna get corrected for this, but rattling sounds usually mean bad cat. Take them off just to be sure

That's the only thing I can think of that would rattle on idle.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be your hangers holding the exaust or it all depends on when and and under what conditons it rattles
Old 08-25-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

check your heat shields for rattle or a small stone on top of it.