General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone replace the ac condenser.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone replace the ac condenser.

My AC is making a squealing noise and it the noise is even worse when I turn the AC off. Has anyone replace the condenser before? Any idea of the cost for the parts, tools needed ect. Also will this mess my car up if I drive it ( I am not going to drive it until its fixed anyways because this noise sounds like **** and it is very LOUD).
Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The AC condenser is the heat exchanger mounted in front of your radiator. It could not possibly make the noise you are describing.

You might be confused, and are calling the AC compressor a condenser. If so, the squealing noise is likely coming from the AC compressor drive belt or tensioner.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, It must the compressor. I was told It could be a bearing on the compressor. Still I need know how to fix it. I tried the search but it does not seem to be working
Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the first time in nearly a year, the search feature seems to be working for me...

Replacing the compressor is actually pretty easy. You'll need to take the car to a shop to have the AC system completely evacuated. Then remove the drive belt. Remove the bolts that hold the compressor to the block, and then the AC lines from the compressor. Disconnect the clutch coil connector and replace the compressor. Add oil if necessary to the new compressor, and reinstall. Take the car back to the shop to have it vacuumed and charged.

I noticed you stated that the noise is still there even with the AC off. That means the noise is NOT coming from the compressor itself. It is most likely the drive belt, the tensioner or idler pulley, or the compressor pulley and clutch - in that order.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace the ac condenser.