General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlight motor

Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlight motor

just a few quick questions.

seems like i have 3 options. money not really the issue. fixing the problem right the 1st time is the main goal.
1. free fix, flip the gear 180. really don't have a problem with this.
2. brass gear. since i would have to take it apart to do the free fix, 40 bucks really isn't an issue, and this is the way i planned to do it, but seems some guys are having issues with the brass gear now? coming back apart and breaking a stop piece off?
3. money still not really a big deal, is it better to just buy the new motor or whatever for 128 on line and replace it and be done with it?

which ever way i go, i really don't want to have to deal with it again in a month or 2. in a few years, well, i deal with it then, but which way is most effective?

thanks,
rob
Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

do the flip and it should last a while, and get the brass gears
Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he said the main goal is fixing it the first time.. which eliminate the flip the gear.. that will probably last a couple of seasons if you get the housing fastened back together very tight, but everytime you take it apart it makes it harder to do that. I had a brass gear that came with my car, whoever did it didn't get it put back together and it did strip the brass gear. If you look at the eb*y auctions that have the brass gear it's a whole kit now with an improved bracket that takes some of the pressure off of the housing (that causes it to come apart in the first place).

anyway that kit is like $50 shipped these days, I opted to replace it with a reman from autozone.. I'm thinking it was like $78 with a lifetime warranty, there is a core charge of course.

It's really easy work to swap out the gear and all, but if you don't get that housing reassembled well, your brass gear will go to junk... even the guy who makes them will tell you that.

Search this Thread