General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Overheating Problem

Just as of recently, my low coolant level sensor has been popping up intermitently. I figured the sensor was just going bad, because I don't have any visible leaks and my oil looks fine so I don't think I'm losing any coolant.

However, along with the low coolant light, my car has been randomly overheating. I'll just be cruising around on the highway at a constant 65mph and all of the sudden my Check Guages light will turn on and the thermostat will jump all the way up to the red within a matter of seconds. Not but 10-15 seconds later at the most, it drops right back down to its usual temperature. I figured that this was going along with the faulty sensor (if thats what it is), and is somehow getting a false reading, because I see no reason for my car to be overheating.

Today it did the same thing. Overheated, but this time it didn't drop down. The car started to sputter and the SES light turned on, so I shut down the car and pulled over. I waited a minute or two, cranked it back up, and the temperature was right where it should be, but the SES light is still on. I'll have that scanned after work today.

Does anybody have any idea whats going on? Or know what I need to look into? This problem is getting really annoying and I don't want to do any damage to my motor from overheating, hopefully I haven't already...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the low coolant sensor, but think that's something separate from the PCM so doesn't throw codes. If the gauge is showing overheating and then not after a few seconds, and the car isn't overheating, I'd check the ECT sensor and wiring by cyl #1 in the drivers side head.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

random overheating could be that a t-stat is stuck somewhat open, maybe too much air pockets in the system, bad rad. cap? hope this helps...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Next time it gets hot, pull over and pop the hood and feel parts of the engine bay, see if things are really hot. If not, it's probably just the sensor in the drivers side head going bad. Its cheap and takes 4 minutes to change.

If you are really getting hot, time to track down the problem one thing at a time. T-Stat would be my first choice if everything else looked good.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I think the problem may have been that I was actually just low on coolant. I ran the car for ~15 minutes this morning and kept topping off the coolant as the thermostat opened up. SES light is gone and all other symptoms seem to be gone.

I'll post up tomorrow after I've been on the highway for a bit if the problem ends up coming back.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm still getting the low coolant light, and I'm still having to fill up with coolant. I've put a gallon in over the last week, but I can't find a leak anywhere, leaving me to believe that there is air trapped in the system.

Where is the bleeder valve on this car to bleed the air out?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I replaced my thermostat it just started it cold with the radiator cap off, let it idle until it opened and kept adding until it wouldn't take anymore. You can also try removing the hose at the throttle body - think installuniversity.com has it under their 160 install guide.