General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! Big problem with my power window and remounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation HELP! Big problem with my power window and remounting

Basically my driver's side window motor was shot. Went through a huge hassle of getting the 4 big rivets holding the whole mess together drilled out, removing the regulator and motor assembly... yeah big pain in the neck.

I'm in the process of putting the whole mess back together and I realize I need a rivet gun to remount the regulator to the door. Problem is, I don't have one, and I can't seem to find one anywhere that is big enough! Well, I found a pneumatic one at Sears but no way am I spending $400 on the thing to use for 4 rivets, screw that. I don't have that much money.

So what I need to know is, where do I find a rivet gun that is a decent price to put this thing back together with? Or is there another way to use the rivets without the gun somehow? Or is there a better way to remount the thing?

Needless to say, I'm going to follow shoebox's directions for the passenger side (wish I found that earlier) but at this point it won't help me any with my driver side.

HELP!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not suppose to remove those 4 big rivets that are exposed. That's what holds the mount for all that stuff, now you have a problem kind of.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically you are supposed to remove those rivets. Any manual will tell you that you need to remove the regulator to change the motor.

I couldnt find 1/4th drive rivets or a manual rivet gun that fits them today. 3/16th seems to be the biggest I can find. So im gonna do the drill through the door way tomarrow.

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Its gonna be a pain finding 1/4th rivets and a gun. I guess try looking online to order them.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to remove the rites to replace it but you dont have put them back in just use nuts and bolts it will work fine
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK problem taken care of. I was able to get some lock nuts and bolts in there. Wasn't too easy but its mounted and everything works. Finally I can hit the road with the t-tops off and both windows down instead of just one lol.

When the passenger side comes due to be changed I'm definitely using shoebox's method though, looks like it'll be so much easier... And less painful, I cut my hands in countless places from stuff inside the door and from getting it caught in the scissor mechanism (ouch).