General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Temperature gauge high, problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature gauge high, problems?

Hey what's up. I drive an 02 z-28 m6 with 44k. lid, cutout, skip shift.

Anyways, i've been oticing my "check gauges" like come on, and i'll notice that my temp needle is peaking in the red. It will stay that way for about 15-45 seconds, then will drop back down in the middle. It'll stay there for a few minutes, and climb its way back to the red. Then it repeats itself over and over.

I did an oil change and changed the coolant and checked the transmission fluid. The problem is still persisting. Any help or advice you guys have?!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Scammer Alert!

im not an expert but my oil pressure was doing this, so when i did my ls6 intake swap, i changed the oil pressure sensor and it fixed that problem, im sure there is a temperature sensor, just a thought , maybe someone else can chime in
Old 09-03-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm do you have any leaks. if no. then if no leaks I would check the thermostat. that was my culprit. also does it cool off once you get driving. and does it just go hot when you are standing still. those are key. it could be the water pump. besides those two. that is what I have on the information that was given.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Teching In

No, it doesn't stop when i get going. It just keeps going back and forth. Assuming my thermostat is the culprit, is the car really not getting as hot as it says?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a maybe an electrical problem, but.....it could be these also. 1. your coolant could need a flush, you may have something backing up the system, and no coolant is getting through. 2. thermo. could be sticking, this happens from time to time so therefore coolant isnt being released. 3. the temp. gauge in the car is inaccurate, unless it really does over heat, 98's were the only year that the temp gauge was accurate, so you probably running hot, but it could be a sensor tripping it.

I would look at draining all the coolant, after that, with no coolant, pull the thermo, and check it out, if its broke you know what to do, if not, then filler back up with the coolant. after this say a prayer. hopefully that is the fix, if not im sure someone else will have a solution.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

check to see if yout thermostat is stuck closed. what may be happening is with the t-stat being stuck closed, the block is not getting enough cool coolant, resulting in the block getting very hot. then, when the temp sensor detects a hot block, it kicks on the secondary fans which will cool it back down. once the block reaches an acceptable cool temp again, the fans will shut off. but eventually, the block will get hot again because of the closed t-stat and kick the fans on again to cool it back down. good luck with the problem