General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have a problem.. Someone help please..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a problem.. Someone help please..

Ok well I had been noticing a big difference in the way my motor was running ie: Rough starts, hard time finding idle, smoke on startup and when idling thru traffic are a few..

So I decided to pull the plugs and change them out in hopes that the problem would be solved..

Here is what I found:

Cylinder 5:

Shot with Canon PowerShot A80 at 2007-09-06

Definitely a big problem.. I've gone and changed out the plugs for NGK TR55IX and this was this past sunday.. Now after driving it all week (this is my DD), I decided to pull the plugs and have a look..

This is the original cylinder 5 (left) new Cylinder 5 (middle) with Cylinder 3(right) for comparison:

The new spark plugs have less than 400 miles on them..

Does anyone have a clue as to what my problem is?? I really hoping this isn't anything serious coming around because if it is

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

That is oil and you might have bad valve guide seals.The best way to check is do a cylinder leakdown to see if its the rings or seals.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I was thinking it was coral, and you got that plug from the Lusitania.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I was thinking it was coral, and you got that plug from the Lusitania.
Haha. Im still laughing. Definatly looks like oil. Do the leakdown test, those are expensive plugs to be messing up.

Chris
Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it is cholesterol. You need to raise your cars HDL's (the good) to push out all of LDL's (the bad) like what is on your plug there.

Seriously though, that is oil. Probably a valve stem seal like was stated above or you have some odd blow by problem. It could also be you are puking a lot of oil into your intake from the pcv system and for some reason #5 was the unlucky of the cylinders. Do any of the others look like that?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RoDan
I think it is cholesterol. You need to raise your cars HDL's (the good) to push out all of LDL's (the bad) like what is on your plug there.

Seriously though, that is oil. Probably a valve stem seal like was stated above or you have some odd blow by problem. It could also be you are puking a lot of oil into your intake from the pcv system and for some reason #5 was the unlucky of the cylinders. Do any of the others look like that?
nope just cyl 5.. it's the only unlucky one.. I'm replacing the valve seal tomorrow so hopefully I'll know if that fixes it or not..