General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Service Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon

My question is what are some of the reasons for the Service Engine Soon code to come on. 2001 Trans Am I just purchased it a little over two weeks ago and drove it about 25 miles then the light came on. The fans don't come when I turn the A/C on. When the car is sitting I turn on the A/C and normal air comes out. I start driving the car then it turns to Cold Air. The day the light came on no Cold Air at all. Would that cause the Service Engine Soon code come on? The oil looks new and the car only have 61,000 miles on it. Before I take the car to the dealership, I want to see if I can figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing to do is go to your local auto parts chain store (Autozone, Advance etc) and get it scanned for free. When you get the code post it up here and you can get some advice. DON'T go to the dealer until you have done all this.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the information.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto on not going to the dealer. They'll rip you off for sure, and it could just be an easy fix you can do yourself.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you bought it from a dealership (any dealership) and only put 25 mines on it I'd bring it back. Won't hurt to get the code(s) read, just leave them stored. Hope it's something simple.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information, I didn't buy it from the dealership I brought it from a friend when I was in Iraq. The car was stored while we were in Baghdad. How do you keep the codes stored?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

First off, let me welcome you to the site. Secondly, thanks for your service to our country. Thirdly, congratulations on purchasing a fantastic car with amazing potential.
When you have the time, try to read all of the "Stickies" at the tops of the various sub-forums, this will give you a tremendous amount of knowledge about your car. As to the question about storing the codes, your car has an on board computer diagnostic tool (OBD II) that monitors various operating parameters, and when it sees something outside of normal parameters, "throws a code" which in turns sets off the SES light. Your neighborhood AutoZone can access this computer for free (as said earlier) and translate it for you, pinpointing the problem for you (or at least get you headed in the right direction). If they can't translate the code, post it here (again as said before) and somebody from the site will translate it for you, probably within an hour or two. I edited the post because I forgot to mention that with the same scan tool, the SES light can be reset, turning it off after you have corrected the problem.
This site is a fantastic resource for learning about your car, and you will be amazed at the things you can learn and do on your own.
Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the information and you are welcome as for my service to our country.