General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cruise control... weird one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cruise control... weird one.

driving with cruise on, when passing over a bridge expansion joint or hitting any kind of bump that has enuf force to jossel the car around, the cruise control will shut off and i start to decel. just like tapping the brake pedal. it doesnt completely turn off as i can use the "resume" to get back up to speed.
i have never experienced this issue with any car before and is more irritating then anything!

any ideas?
oh and here is the other weird part.
my front tires got low with air, down to about 27psi (normally run'em at 36psi). i didnt experience this issue while the front tires were low. however i did experience this issue before and after. i'm not making this up nor am i retarded, its just an observation i made. i do alot of interstate driving and you tend to notice things like that when you spend enuf time in a vehicle.reason i say that is because i just filled the tires up today before i got onto the interstate and it has been about 2 weeks since the cruise control deal had popped up.

Last edited by simple; 09-09-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the multifunction switch. Sometimes they will go bad. Will work for a while and then not work and then work. Rattling breaks the connection really quick and resets the cruise.

If you want I can email you a PDF that shows you how to diagnose the cruise control just for the Camaro/Firebird. Won't let me attach as it is just a bit too big.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could also be your brake switch being sensitive enough to close over bumps. Could also be your clutch switch if you're manual. EIther of those will cancel the CC.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info guys.

some new info on my end.
this mornign when i left for work about 4:30am, i noticed that my brake lights were brighter then normal and thought it was odd.
so i tried pulling up on the brake pedal with my foot and sure enuf, the lights went dim. it was sagging just enuf to light up the brake lights, not causing the brakes to drag.
this leaves me to the conclusion that the brake pedal is loose or something somewhere.

any more ideas?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might need to adjust the brake switch and cruise switch on your brake pedal.

You probably have an auto:

Brake switch should be normally open and the cruise switch should be normally closed.

Sounds like something is out of wack.