General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low coolant lite

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low coolant lite

The low coolant lite come on about a week ago, so I check it and its low. Go and buy the orange Dex-cool and fill 'er up. Then yesterday, only two days agfter I fill it up, the damn lite is back on but the coolant is full. Whats up with this damn lite? I know this is a common problem, but how can I permanently fix it? Also does the dex-cool evaporate or something b/c it seems to go fast. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to replace your coolant level sensor, it is on the passenger side if i can recall, you might be burning a little coolant but you do loose some naturally through that pores in the aluminum after extended periods of time.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt replace it yet. Dex-cool has a tendency to cause sludge build up. Try cleaning the sensor first. Thats what i did and it has been working correctly ever since then.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

do u need to take the battery out to take the sensor off? I can't reach it too well. And does it screw off or do u just pull it? Just wonderin
Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

i was told by the forum that you just have to take the battery out and a metal clip holding the sensor on if you want to clean it. and don't forget to drain the radiator to a level below the sensor so it doesn't come squirting out all over the place before you take it out.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

you got it. I didnt drain the radiator to below the sensor. I dont remember what I did but it didnt come squirting out. The coolant wasnt low either.