General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ses Codes, Help!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ses Codes, Help!

I went and got the codes read on my 2001 Trans Am. The codes are P0420 and P1258. AutoZone gives you a printout explaining what the definition.

P1258 Definition
Engine metal over temperature protection
Explanation
ECM detected the temperature was over 270f for 10 seconds
Probable Causes
1.-Failed ECT sensor- Open circuit
2.-Poor connection at the ECT sensor
3.-Open electrical circuit

P0420 Definition
Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1
Explanation
The oxygen sensors monitor the catalytic converters
Ability to store oxygen.
Probable Causes
1.-Catalytic Converter defective (Failure possible
Due to #2, 3, or 4)
2.-Engine misfire or running condition
3.-Large vacuum leak
4.-Engine oil leakage in the exhaust-valve guide seals, piston rings.

My question is I want to have the fixed I don't have the capacity to do it myself and I don't want to get ripped out. Base on my prior posts in this forum I explained the history of the car since I had it. I stepped on it one time and shortly after the temperature went to the red and I pulled over until it cooled down and drove it bad home less than a mile away. It never did it again. I tell it has a misfire, at night when the lights are on you can see them blinking. The voltage gauge is steadily showing 13+. Like I said in one of my prior post the A/C was blowing normal Air while the car was sitting and soon as you drive Cold Air. Attempted to drive to work turned on the A/C and no Cold Air. After 20 miles that when the Service Engine Light came on. I just don't want to take the car to get repair and they tell me it's the Catalytic Converters and I buy this and then they tell me it's a Vacuum Leak.
The car has no smoke at all 61,400 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread