General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Maintenance at 177,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance at 177,000 miles

Well the TA just hit 177k. Wow.... Well I was wondering what do you all suggest I do a lil refresh on to keep this beast going. I am hearing a slight tapping noise on the pass side valve cover when its hot at times and it goes away. Lol the car still has the stock alternator and valvetrain. I did replace the fuel filter, wires, spark plugs and seafoamed it about 8k ago. Other then that I haven't really touched base on any sensor as they havn't gone out...Should I replace anything? Or should I just leave it as is and let something break first? My oil pressure is at 65 at startup and on cold rpms it goes till 75, when it gets hot it idles steady at 35psi. Any input would be great....Should I replace the lifters?
Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the lifters, if im not mistaken that is the plunger in the lifter letting out to much leak down after the engine has been sitting, but the sound goes away once the engine is running because the pressure builds back up in the lifter and works like normal operation. but i could be wrong it could also be that the lifters are not being fully pressureized and the valves are not opening to there max
Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

How long has i been since you changed the differential fluid and trans fluid? Also the powersteering fluid?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

well the diff fluid about 15k ago, the tranny fluid like 60k ago and the powersteering fluid...ummm never.... I was thinking of getting a stock ls2 chain.. and some caddy lifters..My diff is kinda making a howling noise
Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Brake fluid. EVERYONE forgets about the brake fluid. It REALLY needs to be changed/flushed/bled more often than every brake job (and some don't even do it then!! )!!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you really want to do a good high milage maintenance id just replace ALL the fluids and call it a day. you pretty much already did a standard tune up with the wires and plugs. see if any belts or hoses are starting to leak/crack. maaaaaybe the springs depending on how hard you have driven it.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Brake fluid. EVERYONE forgets about the brake fluid. It RE ALLY needs to be changed/flushed/bled more often than every brake job (and some don't even do it then!! )!!
I agree, BUT if it has never been done before, then you run the risk of introducing leaks in to the system because of the fresh fliud. Kinda like putting synthetic oil in a high mileage motor that has only ever had dino oil- you'll end up with leaky seals. Might just be better off leaving it as is, Unless of course you do autocross or HPDE where you have a greater chance of boiling the brake fluid.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_SS
I agree, BUT if it has never been done before, then you run the risk of introducing leaks in to the system because of the fresh fliud. Kinda like putting synthetic oil in a high mileage motor that has only ever had dino oil- you'll end up with leaky seals. Might just be better off leaving it as is, Unless of course you do autocross or HPDE where you have a greater chance of boiling the brake fluid.
Possibly true. But if it's that water logged you might boil it to the point of severe fade just hitting them after a 1/4 mile pass, (or highway run, even though we're not supposed to do that)!
Old 09-14-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's fluid for the brakes?
Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

hey, there's even fluid for the blinkers.