General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant flush

Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant flush

does anyone know what tool is needed to remove the coolant drain plugs from the block? the pass. side plug is just a normal hex plug but the drivers side looks like it needs a special tool to be removed?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
does anyone know what tool is needed to remove the coolant drain plugs from the block? the pass. side plug is just a normal hex plug but the drivers side looks like it needs a special tool to be removed?
anyone? TT
Old 09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Launching!

they make a special tool the opens petcocks but most of the time i just use pliers
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blownta00
they make a special tool the opens petcocks but most of the time i just use pliers
not the radiator petcock but im looking for what i need to take out the brass coolant block plugs?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you talking about the freeze out plug? There are special tools for that but you can usually just use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Either way you'll need a new plug.

Why are you taking out the plug? Are you trying to flush the coolant for maintenance or are you doing something else? If you are just trying to flush the cooling system you can just use the petcock on the bottom of the radiator or a fluid exchanger.

Last edited by Grifter; 09-16-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grifter
Are you talking about the freeze out plug? There are special tools for that but you can usually just use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Either way you'll need a new plug.

Why are you taking out the plug? Are you trying to flush the coolant for maintenance or are you doing something else? If you are just trying to flush the cooling system you can just use the petcock on the bottom of the radiator or a fluid exchanger.
i am just flushing the coolant system but i want to get all the old coolant out of the block so i wanted to remove the 2 plugs.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am just flushing the coolant system but i want to get all the old coolant out of the block so i wanted to remove the 2 plugs.
That's not really needed. Way too much effort, you can just drain all the fluid out of the radiator or use a fluid exchanger.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

I would not suggest removing the brass plug from the block. I would Just drain from the radiator petcock and use a coolant system flush kit (like the ones from advance) to get all the crap out of your engine block. those tend to work fairly well for collant systems that haven't been flushed regularly.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

there has to be someone on this forum that has removed the brass plugs, anyone??
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

there has to be someone on this forum that has removed the brass plugs, anyone??

Nope...... Just flush it. Your going to make alot of work for yourself and may cause problems down the road if you mess with the brass plugs especially if you have never done it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have done it, on my 99 ss when i had it.
The passenger side brass plug you can get with a 5/16 allen key, it is above the starter and you'll have to drop the starter to get at it and also so you don't drain coolant thru the starter. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first before you go anywhere near the starter with a wrench. The other plug is on the front of the block, near the alternator and behind the steering rack. It takes a 16mm allen key.
5/8" = 0.625"
16mm = 0.6299"
you definitely need a 16mm key, I had tried with a 5/8" key but started to strip the plug so I gave up. They are sealed with goop and are very tight, you will need a 3/8" rachet on the 5/16" allen key plus a breaker bar to break it loose. It's fairly straightforward and easy if you have the right tools. Good luck on the front 16mm plug if you attempt it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5301113
Nope...... Just flush it. Your going to make alot of work for yourself and may cause problems down the road if you mess with the brass plugs especially if you have never done it.
i am a gm tech for saturn so im not new to turning wrenches i just havent removed coolant plugs from an ls1 before but it aint the first block coolant plugs i have taken out before
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i have done it, on my 99 ss when i had it.
The passenger side brass plug you can get with a 5/16 allen key, it is above the starter and you'll have to drop the starter to get at it and also so you don't drain coolant thru the starter. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first before you go anywhere near the starter with a wrench. The other plug is on the front of the block, near the alternator and behind the steering rack. It takes a 16mm allen key.
5/8" = 0.625"
16mm = 0.6299"
you definitely need a 16mm key, I had tried with a 5/8" key but started to strip the plug so I gave up. They are sealed with goop and are very tight, you will need a 3/8" rachet on the 5/16" allen key plus a breaker bar to break it loose. It's fairly straightforward and easy if you have the right tools. Good luck on the front 16mm plug if you attempt it.
so a 5/8 hex socket and a 17mm hex socket(i dont see a 16mm in the snap on catalog and so im gonna get those 2 sockets off the tool truck tomorrow, what do you recommend for sealant when i go to reinstall? i was just gonna use some GM engine sealant

Last edited by 99huggerorangeZ; 09-18-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Search this Thread