General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Noise From Hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Noise From Hell

I have a belt noise coming from the "new belt" (cuz the old one did it too) behind the serp. I have used belt dressing even. I am sick of it. WTF? Help!
2000 LS1 Z28
Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

Does it sound like crickets? It is probably a bad idler pulley bearing or being that your car is a 2000 the alternator bracket on the 98-2000 have a service bulletion about the slternator bracket. I am having the same problem with mine. I have a new alternator bracket on the way. I first thought it was the idler pulley so I regreased the bearing and it still did it so then I thought the alternator bearings were bad. When I would spin the pulley on the alternator with the belt off it would squeak a little. I had that rebuilt and it still did it. I tried a new belt and the squeak went away. It was fine for about 3 weeks and then the squeak came back. I am now going to change the alternator bracket. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Teching In

I too did everything as above. Changed pulleys, changed tensioners, greased pulleys, everything would just work temporarily. Belts were not that old. Finally changed belts again to Goodyear "gatorback" and so far my chirping crickets are gone. May be something to look at.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

I had bought a new belt before all of the chirping started and then after changing the doing to idler and the alternator I decided to buy a new belt thinking that maybe the first belt I bought was screwed up. I put the new one on and no more chirp. About 3 weeks after putting the second one on the chirp was back. Today before work I decided to put the old on first one back on because that belt didn't chirp as bad as the second new one. No chirp again. I was like WTF! Drove the half hour to work and nothing. At lunch went to go down town an started the car, chirp is back. So I will put the new bracket on and then if it is still there I will try a new tensioner. If both of those don't fix it, I will run it into a TREE!! Ok maybe not but I will be really pissed.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewter99ls1
I too did everything as above. Changed pulleys, changed tensioners, greased pulleys, everything would just work temporarily. Belts were not that old. Finally changed belts again to Goodyear "gatorback" and so far my chirping crickets are gone. May be something to look at.
+1 for gatorback. If you buy another belt spend the little extra... ITS WORTH IT!!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Teching In

I have a new gatorback. The belt I'm talking about is behind the serpentine belt and has the a/c compressor not the alt. After I drive the car for about 30 minutes it quiets down or if I spray silicone it gets quiet imediately until that wears off. I'm about to go insane and then get a mustang LOL
Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM

my 2000 z28 has the same problem, the belt for the a/c chirps, i have all gates belts on mine and those arent garbage belts you know, im thinking maybe dirt is getting in the belt grooves?????????? i will clean mine and let you know if anything happens
Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM

i cleaned the a/c belt, and the big belt with a toothbrush that was wet, hasnt chirpped yet!!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T-topless
I have a new gatorback. The belt I'm talking about is behind the serpentine belt and has the a/c compressor not the alt. After I drive the car for about 30 minutes it quiets down or if I spray silicone it gets quiet imediately until that wears off. I'm about to go insane and then get a mustang LOL

They do make a gatorback belts for the back (A/C compressor). You just have to find the right size. I have an underdrive pulley so mine is probably a little different. I ended up ordering mine online since no local parts store had in stock and charged more anyway.