General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering moaning, weird electrical problem, belt chirping, oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power steering moaning, weird electrical problem, belt chirping, oh my!

I am about on my last straw with this car... someone help before I run this thing off a bridge or into a tree.

My problems started back in ..... get ready for a book
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1 Belt
Chapter 2 Power Steering Moans
Chapter 3 Electrical Woes

Chapter 1: Belt
I bought the car in February, in April my car starts chirping I take the belts off to see they are in horrifying shape, **** tons of cracks. I replace them with the Duralast set at Autozone, I get them on and yay no more noises ....

fast forward to July, the chirping is back and louder than ever, I get the updated alternator bracket and replace the idler pulley, nothing changes. I go to O'Reilly's and buy a Gates belt. I put it on and BAM no more chirping, so I chalk it up to cheesy Duralast belts ....

fast forward to last weekend. the car is chirping again in the same way as before. Notes: car does not chirp at idle only when rpms are above 1k. also I can move the tensioner with my hand if i put some effort into it. Also it is not the A/C belt, took it off and still had the squeel.

Chapter 2: Power Steering Moaning
Sometime early this summer, my power steering starts moaning like a *****. Fluid level is full. Will moan when turning the steering wheel whether sitting still or moving slowly (aka parking lot speed) I'm not sure if it does it at higher speeds because I don't think I would hear it. Another thing the PS pully has one rib where a very small piece was broke off, I have pics if necessary.

Chapter 3: Electrical Woes
The voltmeter on the dash reads fan-*******-tastic at start up around 14 volts. But when I decide to drive for more than 5 minutes the volts will drop below 13 at idle and if the cooling fans kick on it will drop into the yellow and the car feels like it bogs down hard. Also if it is down in the yellow and I accelerate from a stop it will bog and feel like it almost dies. I have bought a new battery and had the battery/alternator/electrical system tested at parts stores several times.

Last edited by UCABlackChevy; 09-18-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The broken rib on the PS pulley could be damaging the belt, causing it to make noise.

The low voltage problem sounds like the alternator is failing. Even if it tests OK at the store how long do they test it for? It could be a problem when it heats up it starts to malfunction, and if they don't run it and load it long enough it won't get warm enough to act up.

Not sure on the PS moan, might be wearing and need replacing.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking that is possibly the case as well where can I get a PS pulley I checked at Autozone's website and it did not have anything listed for it.

Also about the electrical problem. It has been doing this for a couple of months and the car has started perfectly everytime I crank it. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a false reading or something because surely my battery would have been dead by now?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to make sure the crank pulley bolt isn't working loose. If it is loose, the pulley could be walking on the crank and causing the belt to wear. Also, if it's loose the crank pulley itself could be turning on the crank, that would cause power steering loss and voltage drop.