General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

big problems with the t/a

Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problems with the t/a

took my car to the track tonight because finnaly got the stall in. anyways, i pull up to the light, i start staging it, the light turns and CLUNK CLUNK. The tires start to spin and my rear starts to clunk. i finally catch traction, run a 15, and get my slip. I shut the car off thinking i destroyed the 10 bolt. Tried to start the car and move it in drive and got no response. I come to find out only reverse and 1 are working. When i start off, only 1 works but as i get going i can shift through the gears smoothly. Also once its back in drive as long as im in motion the car will switch gears fine. As far as the rear end goes, i think i just blew my POSI unit out because one of the side gears has always been missing a tooth. But I dont know whats wrong with the car not moving in drive. Is the rearend hopefully related? any help would be gladly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

bump for some help..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Banned

because one of the side gears has always been missing a tooth
wow
I'm amazed at some of the **** I see posted here.
What do you think happens when the other gears are lined up with that missing tooth and you launch.
And do you have any idea how unsafe it is to have a missing tooth floating around in the gear oil. Sure you may have removed the ONE that you SEEN broken off. What happens when another one breaks loose and gets stuck in between the ring and pinion while you're going around a corner.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

You blew up your 10 bolt thats for sure. Get it replaced with another one... some for sale in the parts section or step up to a 9 inch or 12 bolt
Old 09-27-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
wow
I'm amazed at some of the **** I see posted here.
What do you think happens when the other gears are lined up with that missing tooth and you launch.
And do you have any idea how unsafe it is to have a missing tooth floating around in the gear oil. Sure you may have removed the ONE that you SEEN broken off. What happens when another one breaks loose and gets stuck in between the ring and pinion while you're going around a corner.
Well that is why i got it towed home and didnt attempt to drive it. The side gear in the carrier was only missing a little piece of the the tooth and the rear never made noise so i did not really expect this.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

the part that really gets me is the fact that my car wont drive in D. i know the rear end is junk but why is that happening? im hoping not a tranny problem
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breaking the rear can be hard on the tranny, it's possible it got damaged.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starion
Breaking the rear can be hard on the tranny, it's possible it got damaged.
Exactly, thats why I stressed to not run it if you knew it was broken. Not only for your safety but also for the well being of other parts on the car.
You should get the rear fixed, then work on diagnosing the trans problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

i have a 10 bolt from a 2000 z28 300$ plus shipping complete, calipers, rotors, brake pads, brake lines, complete!

Search this Thread