General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What could cause this starting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What could cause this starting issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYdd_eYKzmY

What could cause the car to start like this? Sometimes it starts right up, but most of the time, especially after it has sat for awhile, cold, it is really slow. Warm, it starts fine usually.

I was told the fuel pressure regulator, but want more input.

Last edited by HoLLo; 10-01-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Fuel pressure regulator. The reason being that the regulator is slowly allowing fuel to bleed back and not holding the pressure in the rails. It will start up fine when its warm is because it hasn't sat long enough for the fuel to bleed back.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool, I have an SLP adjustable regulator to put on it. Just need to score me a FP guage soon. Thanks

I'm thinking it might help some stutters with throttle too.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same issue on my 94. New stock FPR and started like a beast.

-J
Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I have an SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.. but it converts the stock to an adjustable one. It doesn't look like the whole piece. Will this work or will I need the entire unit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well now that you have the regulator, try it out on stock psi before you go messing around with it. It's possible it is not the regulator you know. There is a list of other things that can go bad to where you will loose residual fuel pressure, which is your problem... just so your not surprised if this doesn't fix it.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like my same problem. Cranks and cranks then kind of sputters before firing smoothly.

I need to change plugs and wires so I'll do that first, but I have a feeling it is the regulator now. Where is the regulator located at?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
That sounds like my same problem. Cranks and cranks then kind of sputters before firing smoothly.

I need to change plugs and wires so I'll do that first, but I have a feeling it is the regulator now. Where is the regulator located at?
And this is on your v6 right? Plugs and wires are not the problem, but you can replace them for preventive maintenance. It's fuel related. There is a leak somewhere in the fuel system that is causing a loss in residual fuel pressure. It can be a crack in the lines, leaking fuel pump, weak fuel pump, bad check valve, leaking regulator, etc. There are tests you can do to determine the problem that includes a fuel pressure gauge and some pliers to pinch off the fuel lines.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralls
And this is on your v6 right? Plugs and wires are not the problem, but you can replace them for preventive maintenance. It's fuel related. There is a leak somewhere in the fuel system that is causing a loss in residual fuel pressure. It can be a crack in the lines, leaking fuel pump, weak fuel pump, bad check valve, leaking regulator, etc. There are tests you can do to determine the problem that includes a fuel pressure gauge and some pliers to pinch off the fuel lines.
Yes this is on my V6. I agree about the plugs and wires not being it, but until I pull a plug or two to see what condition they are in I have no idea how long they've been in there (just got the car about 5 weeks ago right before school started up again so I haven't had much time to do much with it, time or money).

IIRC the fuel lines looked good at least what was visible underneath the car. I haven't checked them going up to the engine yet near the front.

What good does pinching the lines do?