General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C clutch

Anyone remove the a/c clutch I need to replace the bearing, and can't figure out how to do it, It's a 94 z for info
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my whole clutch pulley (found I just needed to adjust it but too late). You need to take the nut off the shaft then use a special AC clutch puller tool to remove it. It is called a GM AC clutch puller tool or something like that. Many Advance Auto's carry them for rent. Basically it threads into the outer threads of the clutch plate, then a bolt threads into that part and as you tighten that down it pulls the clutch plate off. Under there is a C-clip that helps hold the pulley in place, remove that, then you can remove the pulley. It'll be stuck on there really good so you may need a 3 point puller to remove it.

The puller tool that I used on mine also included the installer tool. When you install it make sure you get the gap between the pulley and the clutch plate correct, you don't want it to drag but you want it close enough to engage properly. The gap should be about the thickness of a credit card roughly, maybe slightly less.