General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Aight, i need some Electrical Gurus in here..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aight, i need some Electrical Gurus in here..

So everytime i start my car, my lights will flicker rapidly, and my voltage needle will bounce a tinch, but very rapidly also reading about 15-16volts.

The other night i started my car, and the damn thing alost died on me. Rough idle, low voltage, dim lights. It took a minute to warm up, then my passenger window wouldn't roll all the way up, seeming like it didn't have enough power. Eventually everything went back to normal.

Last night i get out of class, start my car up, and theres a "humming" sound thats comming from my engine bay. It would go away with increasing rpms, and return at idle. After a minute or two this went away and i haven't had a problem yet today.

SOO, i go to autozone this morning and have my alternator and battery checked. everything checked out allright. I still think its my alternator. Sometimes my voltage reads really high (16) but mostly reads below 13. Symptoms point to alternator, but the guy at autozone it might be a bad ground.

What you guys think? Sorry for the long post, but i have to get my descriptive writing skills in there lol
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

i woulda said bad ground somewhere as well.

The fact that the humminnnnng is coming from the engine bay and flickering, sounds like you may have rusted ground leads or lose grounds.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ultraz
i woulda said bad ground somewhere as well.

The fact that the humminnnnng is coming from the engine bay and flickering, sounds like you may have rusted ground leads or lose grounds.

So any particular place i should look?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possible voltage regulator in your alternator, you could try taking off your belt an giving the alternator a spin with your hands if it sounds anything but smooth take it off and have it checked a bad regulator will fry you alt. 15-16v is too high

parts guys work at autozone not autotechs
Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I would just check the battery termainals, wiring conections at the alternator and check the plug wires and coil packs to make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. Also check the fuse panel under the hood for loose or blown fuses.

wiring problems can be a royal pain, trust me.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toes
possible voltage regulator in your alternator, you could try taking off your belt an giving the alternator a spin with your hands if it sounds anything but smooth take it off and have it checked a bad regulator will fry you alt. 15-16v is too high

parts guys work at autozone not autotechs
My first thought was the voltage regulator due to the sporatic operation.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1NUT26
I would just check the battery termainals, wiring conections at the alternator and check the plug wires and coil packs to make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. Also check the fuse panel under the hood for loose or blown fuses.

wiring problems can be a royal pain, trust me.
I checked all the visible grounds/wires, i'll be sure to check the plugs/coil packs though. Yea i'd much rather it be the alternator than have to go hunting for a loose ground