General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with weird problem involving driving through large water puddles...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help with weird problem involving driving through large water puddles...

Hi. Well, as you know, down here in Houston we had had beautiful weather for several days, then all of a sudden yesterday afternoon it dumped like three feet of rain on us within about two hours. And the gay thing was I was working up near Intercontinental Airport just for that day, and that was the area that got hit hardest.

At any rate, it was raining so hard that I didn't see the lake of water I was driving through until I was already in it, and other cars ahead of me were plowing right through it.

So, now my car is running weird. There are no unusual sounds coming from the engine or from anywhere else on the car. No oil leaking out or anything like that. I turned it off and got it towed home. Now, when I crank it, it runs perfectly for about two minutes or so while the idle settles, then it starts running really rough, and occasionally it throws code P0300 (Random/Multiple Cyl., Misfire Detected). The weird thing is that my Diablosport Predator reports some weird info regarding my fuel trims and O2's. ST Bank 1 appears normal, flashing new values every second or so, like normal. But, LT Bank 1 and ST and LT Bank 2 are static values (meaning they don't change). So you have:

ST Bank 1: (appears normal)
LT Bank 1: stuck on 8.59% one time and 10.94% another time
ST Bank 2: stuck on -39.06%
LT Bank 2: stuck on -10.94%

Then you go to O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 and it doesn't change either. It sticks on 1105 mV.

Now, here's some more pertinent info, and since I'm not sure which bank (or which sensor) is which, I'm going to need some help here because some of this might be normal, I just don't know. I have deleted the codes (using my Predator) for the rear O2's. When I went to order O2 extensions (for the front O2's), I thought they were sold in pairs, so I only ordered one. I installed it on the driver side front O2, then we just used some extra wire and spliced it in between the sensor and the stock wire and home-made some extensions on the passenger side. The black cloth braided insulation stuff had to be cut apart and we insulated the wire with electrical tape. But, since then some of the tape has come off, and it would have been very easy for water to have gotten up underneath the cut insulation and seep down into the O2 sensor itself. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Teching In

I made my own 02 extensions and had nothing but problems when
it rained!I would get the random/multiple cylinder misfire code.
The car would go into limp mode,check engine light would keep
flashing and bank2 sensor lean code.Replaced the 02's and got
extensions,haven't had a problem since then.

I tried crimping,saudering,electrical tape and nothing worked.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

My car goes crazy when it rains. It always goes back to normal after driving it in dry weather.
It doesn't usually throw any codes though.