General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Serpentine Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Squeaks

I bought my WS6 with tons of squeaks. I've already replaced the belt, tensioner pulley, and alternator (was squeaking). It currently squeaks most when the engine is cold and when it's not idling. Fully warm at idle, no squeaks, but it chirps if I rev.

I haven't changed the idler pulley because O'Reilly's has some that don't have the right backspacing (grind on accessory bracket). I think what's squeaking is the steering pump. I notice that it overflows a bit when I go out racing (probably rev related). I haven't really inspected it for any flaws, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions.

Thx
Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Launching!

ttt...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the cheesy Autozone idler pulley was not built to the correct tolerances for the LS1. I took the stocker and re-greased it and put it back on and its all good for the last month. Although I have noticed that my power steering fluid overflows out the top sometimes too. I'm not sure if maybe I should get a new cap or what to alleviate this problem.

Not much help but I feel your pain...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Launching!

I'm trying to figure out if it's a "problem" or normal. And if it is a "problem" should I replace it with a stocker or go with another one. Maybe even a remote reservoir.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

not sure about the power steering, but my belt squeaks a lot. Usually a generous amount of belt dressing gets rid of it but it comes back about every 4 months depending on driving and environment conditions.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Launching!

ttt...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Anyone else have troubles with the power steering fluid overflowing when you rev?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
Anyone else have troubles with the power steering fluid overflowing when you rev?
sounds like someone dumped some cheap tranny fluid in your power steering pump.

on squeeky belts:

squirt a little soapy water on the belts. if that takes care of the noise try some wax, (beeswax works best) after the soap wears off.

this is old school **** that works most of the time. if you'd rather spend hundreds of dollars on new pullys and belts, go right ahead. you probably needed them anyways.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Launching!

It's a brand new belt by Gates. You think that if I replace my steering fluid with some high performance stuff, that it wont overflow? Any possibility the steering pump is causing the squeaks?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Launching!

ttt...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have steering pump problems?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the pump has ATF in it (pink or red) then that could have worn out a bearing to make it squeak. I know F-Bodies take universal powesteering fluid. But i dont have any clue what would cause it to over flow, maybe its over filled.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Teching In

try a gator back belt. I replaced tensioners, greased pulleys, and everything would work for just awhile before the crickets came back. I had a gates belt as well, with less than 4000 miles. Switched to gatorback belt (goodyear makes them I believe) as someone suggested on here and squeak has been gone ever since.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Check your belt alignment...sometimes the tensioner arm will bend a bit (weak pot metal) and will allow the belt to be outline just enough to cause a chirp. Does it on the old Fords a lot too.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

this sounds stupid i know....but aftermarket belts are NOTORIOUS for squeaks. im not sure who makes GMs belts....it might be gates....but i dont think so. I have never had much luck with gatorback. but it also depends on the climate you live in......do you live where there is alot of dew on the grass in the morning because it could be moisture build up for the morning sqeak. if the powersterring fluid overflows....you are prolly at high rpms for too long for the powersteering pump. try leaving a little fluid out of it.....you cn take it out with like a vacuum bleeder.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

also, takethe belt off and check the flat surfaces that the back of the belt rides over.....if there is an excessive amount of rubber buildup or some other stuff, clean it off.....it may just have bad traction on the pulleys where the back of the belt rides
Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Launching!

So the steering pump is definitely not the problem? I heard someone say that a crack in its housing can cause the squeak, but I haven't looked to see if I have one. The stock belt did squeak before I pinched it when changing my alternator.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Launching!

I might need to have GM diagnose the squeak. How can something so trivial cost so much money?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever buy a new idler pulley or try re-greasing the stocker?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

no, O'Reillys doesn't have one with the right spacing on it. The one they gave me grinds against the alternator bracket. I might try Napa before a diagnostic. Other than that, I would assume that the power steering pump is all that's left. I already changed the alternator and the tensioner pulley and the belt.