General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

arcing around coil packs, rough idle, ticking/pinging sounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way to bring it back from the dead.

My 2 cents: This would happen to me when it rained really hard. Turns out water was getting inside the #6 spark plug boot/coil. I blew it out with air and packed a bunch of di-electric grease in there and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone PLEASE help im having a similar issue and I cant find any information on it other than this thread. Silverado 4.8 year 2000 very similar setup to the ls1. The truck is shaking badly although it has no codes. The coil packs are sparking (shorting out) randomly, its a blue spark and its somewhat hard to see and can only be seen in the dark and can be seen more clearly when you spike the throttle. The spark is occurring on the left side of the coil, and is jumping to the metal bar/magnet looking thing on the left side of the coil. All of the coils are producing a spark (at the spark plug gap) and there is a major change when you unplug each coil individually. Its not a dead miss but it shakes differently at different rpm's and its a pretty bad shake. I also seem to have a tapping noise sometimes as well that comes on randomly. Any help is much appreciated

Quick Reply: arcing around coil packs, rough idle, ticking/pinging sounds