General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dip stick popped out. Too much pressure?!?!?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dip stick popped out. Too much pressure?!?!?

At a road course track today I noticed smoke on my second lap. Took it in, mechanic said PCV valve came off, and blew oil everywhere. This being the second time I have had an issue with leaking oil. The first time he changed the cam sensor and related gaskets. After this work was done (the cam sensor and gaskets), the car went into storage (about 4 months). I pulled it out yesterday drove it a bit, and went to the road course this morning. Lap one was a warm up lap, and as soon as I got on it hard during the second lap, there was smoke and it was leaking oil. This time the mechanic found the PCV valve tube blew off. Test drove it again after reconecting the PCV, and the dip stick blew out. Says there is excessive pressure in the crankcase. I did not notice the oil pressure gauge read anything but normal. My sig has all my mods.

Second issue: When in 6th gear there is a lot of vibration in the car and the shifter has very noticable vibration. Could this be happening because there may be oil on the clutch? It only happens in sixth, and I had the trans done at SixSpeedInc, where I had package 1 done this past April. I also spoke with Amber at SixSpeedInc, she told me to change the pilot bearing and change the trans fluid and then call her on Monday. I really did not do anything out of the ordinary with it, a few hard shifts, but nothing that it should not be able to support.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone know what may cause this? How could there be so much pressure that the dip stick would blow out?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Default cricket, cricket...

anyone?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
At a road course track today I noticed smoke on my second lap. Took it in, mechanic said PCV valve came off, and blew oil everywhere. This being the second time I have had an issue with leaking oil. The first time he changed the cam sensor and related gaskets. After this work was done (the cam sensor and gaskets), the car went into storage (about 4 months). I pulled it out yesterday drove it a bit, and went to the road course this morning. Lap one was a warm up lap, and as soon as I got on it hard during the second lap, there was smoke and it was leaking oil. This time the mechanic found the PCV valve tube blew off. Test drove it again after reconecting the PCV, and the dip stick blew out. Says there is excessive pressure in the crankcase. I did not notice the oil pressure gauge read anything but normal. My sig has all my mods.

Second issue: When in 6th gear there is a lot of vibration in the car and the shifter has very noticable vibration. Could this be happening because there may be oil on the clutch? It only happens in sixth, and I had the trans done at SixSpeedInc, where I had package 1 done this past April. I also spoke with Amber at SixSpeedInc, she told me to change the pilot bearing and change the trans fluid and then call her on Monday. I really did not do anything out of the ordinary with it, a few hard shifts, but nothing that it should not be able to support.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone know what may cause this? How could there be so much pressure that the dip stick would blow out?
Sounds like there is excessive crank case pressure. Check the direction of the PCV valve first. I would also have a cylinder leakdown test done to verify the integrity of the ring seal.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Launching!

I've had my dipstick blow out the tube a few times when i first bought the car, i cleaned my pcv valve and i think its happend once in the past 2 months. Try replacing the pcv, i believe its a fairly cheap part. If that doesn't work you could maybe try a breather filter. If you don't want to go that route, you could drill a small hole into your dipstick tube an inch or two from the top to help with ventillation.

As for the trans, see what rpms the vibrations occur at in 6th, and check each gear again at those rpms to see if you notice anything out of the ordinary, make sure you hold the rpms in each gear for awhile. I would say trans mount if you are experiencing the vibrations in other gears.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help, guys. I had a new pcv put in, but it didn't help. Unfortunately, I have run out of time and I have to put the car in storage this weekend for my deployment to Iraq. The thing that sucks is that it will be sitting there broke for at least 18 months, or until I can get back and take it somewhere that can do a cyclinder leak down test.
I am going to put the car in a garage and will follow much of the car storage practices that the guys on the 'Military Forum' page do while their cars are in storage.
This sucks, but at least I will come back with the cash it will take to fix it properly.
Later, and God Bless.

Search this Thread