General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horn Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horn Q

Ok, so I started to push my horn in today and I got no sound. I havent been driving my car on regular basis (for medical reasons) for at least months at a time. So anyways, I go to honk my horn while I am passing by a friend and it doesnt work. I tried several times in different areas and it doesnt sound. So anyways, I check all my fuses, (none of them read "horn") on the side panel, so I go to check under my hood. I find a few that read "horn" and I tried switching out the fuses even though they didnt look bad. To no avail. I hear a "click" under the hood when I switched them, so I know there is something going on, and its not a contact issue at the wheel. Do I need to replace the actual horn? From what I understand there is a high/low sound from the horn, but I am not getting anything. Any suggestions? Testing that needs to be done? Or do I just have to replace the horn itself? TIA
Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem too. Turns out I have to replace
the actual horns, both are dead. You could remove them
and test them by hooking them up to a car battery.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grab a test light and see if you are getting voltage at both horns when the horn is pressed. If not check the horn relay. If the relay is good then its probably a cancel cam in the column. If you are getting voltage its probably a horn problem as said above. You dont really see both horns go out at the same time but its possible.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Mine did the same thing. Turns out it was the fuse under the dash. Sometimes it can be the simpilist(sp?) of things that is the answer. -Mark
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I didn't drive my car for a long time and it was in a non climate controlled garage it took about 20 times of pressing the horn to get it to work again. The car sat for 3 years without being touched and the contacts must of had corrision on them.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I went in for a further look. It turns out what may have happen to 2002_Z28_Six_Speed may also be the case with mine. However, I actually went as far as to pull the horns out. I tried to test them straight to the battery. I tried it several times with no sound. I for some reason reversed the wires and it made noise! I was expecting it the first couple of times, but not on the last go around and I nearly **** my pants. Wouldnt the wires work either way ? Anyways, I think the low horn is out. I plugged it back in and pressed on the horn and it was working. I thought about replacing the horn, but I figured if the low horn was out, I wouldnt mess with it, since the high horn scared the crap out of me. Of course, if this happens again, I now know how to replace.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

while on this subject....what are the replacement part #s for the horns or does anyone know that off the top of their head? thanks guys...