General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stupid inspector!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid inspector!!!

ok guys...I just got back from getting my car inspected and a couple things happened that really pissed me off..

First of all after I got my car inspected the guy who inspected it left the switch on and when I go to back out of the bay my car won't start and just clicked. So he ran upstairs, got a booster pack, hooked it up, and off I go. As I pull out onto the highway I then notice that there's grease on my driver's mat from his dirty *** feet. At this point I was so pissed I didn't even feel like ******* with them so I stopped at Advance and got me a bottle of Tuff Stuff to get it out. Anyways, I'm home now and I've cleaned the mat up and I was wondering what happened to my car to make it click over and over and not start? The car is an 02' with only 38K on the clock and still has the original battery in it. It has never given me a problem before starting and I'm wondering if he's fucked anything up or not. Please get back at me fellas I'm going to a fighting event tonight that's an hour away and I don't want to wind up stranded in the parking lot there...thanks everyone
Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want quality service i would take your car to the dealership. In NY the state inspection is a mandated price so its not going to be anymore then the fly by night guys. The hour drive you have to get to the event will more then charge the battery enough, it might be a little low right now though if you had a short drive from there to your house. As far as Automotive technician's go that kind of service is unacceptable and i apologize on his behalf. People like that give people like me a bad name. Also even with that low miles the battery might be on its way out, with out testing it though there is now way to be 100% either way.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring the battery in for a free load test somewhere - surprised there are any stock delcos still working - check the positive terminal to see if it leaking too. I'm on my third battery at 25K.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Your stock battery is 5 years old, it's on the way out.

I'd replace it just for good measure. The aftermarket AC Delco Professional battery is much better than the assembly line delco that your car came with, that's the one I'd recommend.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Bring the battery in for a free load test somewhere - surprised there are any stock delcos still working - check the positive terminal to see if it leaking too. I'm on my third battery at 25K.
My battery on my 98 is an AC delco... not sure if it is a replacement or not though but it looks original.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate having to go get my car smogged. It always sounds and looks like they are forceing my car way too much. I see them pushing it throw the gears one time and a week later my tranny give out. Then the last time i went in differnt smog check and the guy was going throw the gears. Is it normal for smog technitions to be going throw the gears of an automatic? I swear i hate it when its smog time for my car. Some of these technitions are a holes.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i took my car in for smog it was funny to see the guys reaction when it dident go in too 4th gear cuz of the skip shift! he dident know what to do
Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Teching In

gotta love those greasy foot prints.....
Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for all of that. I live in NY and FL but my cars are registered in Florida and I haven't had to deal with that in years! (not to rub it in) I forgot what a pain in the butt that could be. Definately get a new battery. That's the first thing I did and I bought mine withh 14,000 miles on it in April of 2007. You don't want to get stuck out there when it doesn't take a jump (which will happen). Batteries are funny because the less you use them the faster they wear out. That's what I've heard anyways. John.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock batteries are famous for leaking acid when they go out. I'd change it asap. Mine puked its guts out all down the engine compartment.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ae13291
when i took my car in for smog it was funny to see the guys reaction when it dident go in too 4th gear cuz of the skip shift! he dident know what to do
what kind of inspection do you guys have in the **** state of Kalifornia, they have to drive your car? My god that sucks.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnydi
Thank you for all of that. I live in NY and FL but my cars are registered in Florida and I haven't had to deal with that in years! (not to rub it in) I forgot what a pain in the butt that could be. Definately get a new battery. That's the first thing I did and I bought mine withh 14,000 miles on it in April of 2007. You don't want to get stuck out there when it doesn't take a jump (which will happen). Batteries are funny because the less you use them the faster they wear out. That's what I've heard anyways. John.
Don't worry smog testing is coming to fl soon. It will only be for 08 or 09 up vehciles can't remember exactly. Our f-bodies won't be getting smogged but if you buy a new vehicle it will have to be. The smog requirments will be the same as **** cali. You can thank govenor crist for this.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

They drive the car in Tx now too (brake check??). The last place I took it to left a fine scratch on the hood as they used their grease rag to close the hood. I think I need to find another place - maybe the dealer isn't such a bad idea afterall. I'm sure the wait will be extreme though vs. the 10min at the quick-inspect.....