General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Speedometer screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer screwed up?

Earlier tonight, I was going down this road, going pretty quick, doing about 70 or so. Then all of a sudden when im speeding up, the speedometer shoots straight down to ~10mph. It wouldn't go any higher. I had to slow down to about the 10mph mark and the speedometer went down. I started to accelerate again, it would go up but lag badly. Then i did a dead stop, it went all way down like it was suppose to. I started up again and it went up fine. I believe its accurate, or at least very close. But when I break/slow down it goes down, but lags about 1 second before actually descending. I have no idea what would cause it to do that and how much are speedometers to fix if its broken. >_<
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Sounds like it could be a bad VSS (vehicle speed sensor). This is something you need a scantool to properly diagnose. Take it to a reputable garage.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Staging Lane

My problem seemed to go away for a while, I had some tranny work done. Now, its starting to do it again after like a month or so of not doing it. It only seems to do it when I drive for a while. I go to work each day, and works fine the 5-10 minute drive there. Only seems to do it when I drive for an extended period of time and/or race a few people. It usually gets stuck at 10mph or 20mph now. But it works fine 99% of the other time.

Can it still be a bad VSS? And how much is that to replace?

Edit: Now that I think about it. It started to be a PITA when i went into my friends driveway a little too fast (he has a bunch of compacted snow at the end) and I bottomed out. My friend told me my wiring could be lose where it goes onto the tranny. Hes an eclipse man, so I doubt its in the same spot. Could it be that, and where would it be located?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your car stick or auto? Here's a picture of the VSS on an A4, looks like it's right next to the tranny mount.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Its an Automatic. Ill guess Ill have to take it to the shop to get it diagnosed.