General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

CAR WONT TURN OVER! help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR WONT TURN OVER! help

Hey guys, i drove to class today and all was well. An hour later i get outta class and the car BARLEY turns over to get the motor running. The gauges go nuts, and my battery volatge meter is reading less than 8volts (way down in the red)
anyway i drive back to my apartment all the while the ac not working and the "check gauges" light and the "abs inop" light on. I park in my spot and shut her down....take the key out, open the door, then put the key back in to start her up and she wont turn over she just CLICKS. The radio and everything is on but she wont turn over it just clickclickclickclick very rapidly. I called a buddy and he said his dad's TA had the same kind of problems and it was a couple of loose grounds. Im not sure if this is my problem, i dont think the battery is bad but im gonna try and boost her anyways. The clicking leads me to believe there to be a starter problem either with the solenoid or with the starter itself.....how can i test the starter from my parking spot with little tools and no jack? can I? please give me some feedback!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Get a new battery and clean your cable ends; verify your alternator is charging (with a new battery installed)....case closed!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the battery is dead. The clicking is the starter solenoid trying to engage but there's not enough juice.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

my gauges went crazy and it was my battery... get a new one!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick lil hint,.. if the battery seems like its overcharging when you turn her over (over half the gauge),...alltinator took a ****!!

Also might wanna try unplugging your battery and cleaning off your connection with a wire brush. You may just have a bad connection due to a lil corrosion.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same troubles and it turned out to be the starter.I went and brought a new battery and same problem ,changed the starter and everything is good.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

yea guys i replaced the battery and the alternator and she is running fine now.....except for a damn squeal that sounds like a water pump bearing.......i guess its time for an electric one!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So it was the alternator then huh?